Compare Feature

@Ohan I see what you’re talking about having to scroll to see the other graphs. I Apologize for misunderstanding your post. Depending on screen size shrinking graph height would really make it difficult too see, tap, etc. However I do see your point about wanting to see all together rather than scrolling. I don’t mind having to scroll but I see your point.

2 Likes

I think I’d prefer to scroll; having everything displayed but too small for my eyes to resolve into information doesn’t help me.

Might be an idea to be able to set a “these are my compare graphs” list. I nigh-certainly don’t want ALL the NOAA information streams, for example. I probably want what I think is the best one, or maybe the best two.

1 Like

In my case I can display 5 out of 7 data sets, so the zoom out to see all 7 would not be that much.

(Being able to zoom vertically would mean that it’s also possible to zoom in, makeing it even easier to see the graphs.)

I

I see now that the gray areas, where the name of the data source and the weekdays are displayed are using a big portion of the screen.

Simply changing the displaying of the weekdays to only once would give back allot of space on the screen for more wether information.

The name of the data source could be overlayed on the graph instead of using a separate area.

Therese two changes would eliminate the need for vertical zoom/scroll for me (until perhaps more data sets are added).

Yes, +1 on that!

Where I live, there are ten data sets; half size vertically would get squinty.

I’d like to be able to be selective about the data sources to compare (I trust some of them much more than others!) more than I’d like to be able to scale them.

I agree about the double-tap-to-compare suggestion.

2 Likes

Wow, you guys seem to sorting it out. I’ll just add my few cents.

Good point. Double-tap to go compare and return the the map is a good idea. I seem to be using the compare function a lot and am getting sick of the long-press-compare process.

Double-tap vote +1 - and my vote is final :wink:

Regarding the vertical zooming: I agree with this in principal but it’s damn difficult to do in practice. The graphs are plotted to be pixel perfect so the graphs would have to be redrawn as you zoom which is not cheap.

Alternatively we could zoom an outlines or scale the current image without redrawing the graphs until you release the zoom which is when the graph would be redrawn to be pixel perfect. This would be the appropriate approach but I don’t know how hard this is to implement.

The other option is to have a setting to adjust it - super easy but adds clutter to the settings.

Regarding the horizontal zoom: again I agree, and it’s on the todo list, but it suffers from the same difficulties plus having to download extra data on the fly.

Regarding the horizontal double-finger swipe: also considered this and it’s difficult.

When I consider all these ideas, I agree with them, but I take time to think about them, especially if they are complex and difficult to implement. I implement the idea and it takes a lot of time, becomes difficult to maintain, adds bugs, increases support emails and then only <1% of people use it daily, then it’s a damn expensive feature.

Remember this time can be used to add features that more people would use, like Radar :slight_smile:

Which would you vote for: graph zoom or radar - be honest.

If you contrast the zoom to the double-tap which would take an hour to add, is very simple code, is unlikely to add bugs, it’s a no-brainer. My hesitation was that gestures are a rare thing and I think long before using one and whether it’s worth using for the compare function.

So my suggestion is that I implement:

• double-tap to switch between map and compare
  • single-tap to set time.
  • single swipe to slide time
  • reordering to raise your prioritised data sources to the top

We leave the zooming on the todo list. Maybe in the future have a beta setting in order to see how much it’s used, etc…

Cheers, Duane.

3 Likes

Totally agree. This was the simple way to display the data quickly. Maybe we can put the source label in where the icons are. BTW, who still uses or refers to the icons?

Maybe we can remove the card display, and have days on every odd numbered graph.

Aside: This may solve the vertical zooming need. This is another reason I thing for a long time about a feature because a simpler solution may present itself.

1 Like

Maybe you folk just need to my region of the world where the only four data sources available easily fits on the screen :slight_smile:

1 Like

@duane well said. Really like your train of thought. also double tap single tap would be a good thing it’s Thunder Storm season here Tornado Season in the mid west and Hurricane Season in the South/Eastern areas. I also find myself using compare alot.

1 Like

I use them but not against change for over all good of the App.

1 Like

@duane I would love to live there.

1 Like

Yes, radar for sure!

3 Likes

This would be so awesome!

1 Like

Radar for Sure :+1::+1:

1 Like

I think icons are useful, so please keep them (somewhere).
I like your attitude of “not adding a feature” rather than adding and then removing.)

I agree that to eliminate the need for vertical zooming by means of simpler ways to work around the problem, seams a better way to spend time. Perhaps “reordering to raise prioritized data sources to the top” is all that is actually needed to accomplish this. (At lest until radar and whatever other higher prio feature is done.)

Not sure what you refer to with “card display”, but a suggestion is to have a portion of the screen (at the top or bottom) that is not moving while graphs are being scrolled up and down, and there display the days, and also the row with, in text, the time, temperature and so on.

Having only one row with the time, temperature and so on, means that one of the graphs need to be selected some how, for example by single tap, and should be marked / highlighted.

So as soon at thees are done,

I would directly ask for the the row with the time, temperature and so on.

If the “select and highlight one of the graphs” is not a quick fix with low risk for bugs, then, at least, I would prefer having the row with time, temperature and so on, to be under every graph in compare mode, (like weekdays are now).

This feature would be very much appreciated, at least by me, since the thing I want to use the compare mode for is to quickly be able to read (on graph and in text) the values for temperature, precipitation and wind speed for different times for the different sources.

I like that we can discuss the pros and cons of adding features, and i rely appreciate your transparency in your thinking and your workflow @duane, this is a big part of why I’m willing to engage in a forum like this and to be an owner of a gold subscription.

Keep up the awesome work!

1 Like

@Ohan the card display I believe is.

@BrianLY-38 I think that in your picture, the red markings are surrounding the

If the card display is the name of the particular graph being used (Starry Night, Sailors Delight etc), in the blue field at the top then I’m all for hiding it in compare mode.

I say let’s make the compare mode completely full screen! Or ad a separate option in settings under “Fullscreen mode” that would be “Compare graphs in fullscreen”.

While I’m in “Compare graphs mode” and am parsing multi variable data from from several parallel sources, I’m not necessarily interested in knowing my battery and Wi-Fi status, but when I’m checking the wether on the map I actually might be.

2 Likes

I just want to point out that when displaying more days than what is available in a data set, and when then another dataset is filling the rest of the graph, then both the names of the two data sets are displayed, together with the icons.

And I think this works fine, so there is no need to remove the icons in order to make space for the data set names. Wouldn’t you agree?

1 Like

@Ohan you’re right my apologies I uploaded wrong photo I was on here and messenger with a friend sent him the photo ment for here lol brain fart :dash::joy:

1 Like

That’s OK @BrianLY-38, I actually read the first version of your comment that had a seaingly more correct description.

It comes to me as email notifications. (You can also tap the orange pen top right of an edited post and read earlier versions of it.)

1 Like