Dark Sky has joined Apple

Hi @swissmac,

That’s interesting. It refreshing to hear your point of view. Sub-hourly time steps will pop to the top of the list. It was at the top-last week but spectrums, which should be in beta today, jumped to the top.

I render RainViewer data in Flowx, hopefully Oleksii would be happy to show the future predictions in Flowx. But I think this should require a RainViewer2 purchase, i.e., you don’t automatically get it with a Pro version of Flowx. I think this is only fair, Oleksii and team put in a lot of work. In other words, you RainViewer 2 predictions with the animation goodness of Flowx :slight_smile:

Re. the empty 1-day widget: I don’t know. My widget wasn’t empty. Can you send me a screenshot and the debug log? I’ll check it out.

BTW, what does the DarkSky widget look like? Can you send me a screenshot of what you have?

As always, I’m happy to hear ideas but can’t promise anything. The to-do list is super long.

Cheers, Duane.

4 Likes

My one day widget is OK. But all the graph data disappears, except temperature, when setting one day forecast in the main app.
This is on a Huawei Mate 10 Pro phone and Samsung S6 tablet. Both on Android 9.

1 Like

Awesome - sounds very promising. I already have to RainViewer PRO and don’t mind buying the RainViewer2 PRO. I know how hard it is to make money online since I’m full-time YouTuber.

Here first the screen-shot with the two DarkSky widgets (1h and 24h … but “unfortunately” no rain currently to see … which is the most interesting thing usually there …) and below your FlowX 1 d / 2 d / 10 d.

… and here my Android / phone version:

Thanks

Marc

2 Likes

Re. making money - you understand. We’re at about 60% covering costs. I’m still optimistic I can make it to 100%.

Where is Seminole and what data source are you using in the widget? Can you send me the debug log too. I’ll try and replicate your setup on my phone.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

I’m a long time Dark Sky user myself, great short term forecasting.
Not surprised Android users are actively looking at other weather apps at the moment, and hope this leads to more people using Flowx.

I noted in your latest change log something about Dark Sky data being available for precipitation and temperature (my version is 3.244) but seemed to imply it needed selecting in some way - is that right and how would you do that?

Also in the Dark Sky Blog which announced the Apple news it says “Our API service for existing customers is not changing today, but we will no longer accept new signups. The API will continue to function through the end of 2021.” so does this mean the Dark Sky data is only a temporary feature?

I looked up RainViewer 2 but found nothing, reading this thread suggests there may be a new app but maybe I’ve misunderstood!

2 Likes

Re:

I think it’s about the color style named “Dark sky”:

1 Like

Yeah - was looking for RainViewer 2 too, but seems not (yet) available. Looks like @duane has more inside knowledge …

1 Like

@duane: Thanks for your ongoing support!

Here some pictures from the last cold front yesterday (comparison FlowX vs DarkSky vs AccuWeather BETA)

Location is Seminole / Florida / USA

BTW: My data source for FlowX is currently NOAA / GFS (at least as far as I can see), due to the expired premium / Gold subscription

Thanks

1 Like

@jolley,

The Dark Sky stuff I mention in version 3.244 is just the coloring so you can get familiar looking maps.

I don’t use the Dark Sky API.

Currently, Flowx is showing HRRR data in 1 hour time steps. I am currently working on 15 minute time steps for the HRRR which will be the closest thing to Dark Sky next-hour forecasting you can get. Arguably, it might be better since it’s driven by a weather model instead of AI.

It is difficult to compare Flowx and Dark Sky. At the high level, they are similar, but they are different in the details. Note, Dark Sky is focused in near-term forecasting (next day). Flowx is focused on weather model data which is good for medium term forecasts and planning. That said, Flowx can serve for near-term forecasts with the inclusion of RainViewer radar and HRRR,

RainViewer 2 with near-term forecasting is in the pipeline. I have inside knowledge.

Cheers, Duane.

3 Likes

Hi @swissmac,

You can’t really compare Dark Sky and Accuweather with Flowx like this. It’s apples and oranges.

Flowx is weather simulation results with is great for medium term forecasting and does have some near-term forecasting with RainViewer radar and HRRR.

Dark Sky and AccuWeather uses statistics (MOS) to improve near-term forecasts but you loose the big picture. In other words, is turns what you see on the Flowx map into an icon representing the weather for a single location, e.g. New York (airport). Dark Sky (and later AccuWeather with minute cast) took this a step further by adding the near-term precipitation forecasts by projecting radar 1 hour into the future. This is what RainViewer 2 will be offering.

One could argue HRRR is the gold standard since it’s based on a weather model (physics). But I don’t have any facts to back that up.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Duane,

I didn’t know it at the time, but when I saw the Dark Sky popup about the sale to Apple, that was my lucky day! Unwilling to click “OK” and agree to Apple’s “Terms and Conditions,” I uninstalled Dark Sky immediately and went looking.

I LOVE this app! What I liked about Dark Sky was being able to get a sense of the weather at a glance but Flowx is much better in that regard. The widget gives me cloud cover, rain, temperature and wind. The app opens quickly for more detail and I like the map better than Dark Sky. I really like being able to slide the timeline instead of dealing with Dark Sky’s automation. As for the hyperlocal nature of Dark Sky, I found it hit or miss. Sometimes it was dead-on, other times not. I’m finding Flowx just as useful in that regard, probably more.

A quick observation from a new user, at first the graph looked very confusing. I’m used to it now but I think it would have made more sense to me right away if it were upside-down! IOW, with the clouds and rain coming from the sky and the sun shining on the ground. Does that make sense? Certainly not a big deal - just a thought.

Looks like you’re planning more good things to come. Thanks for a great app and keep up the great work!

Regards,
Walt

3 Likes

@Walt Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for using Flowx. Stay Safe Stay Healthy

2 Likes

Thanks Brian, so far so good. You stay well too!

Best,
Walt

2 Likes

HI, @Walt and welcome to the forum!

Re:

I understand your thinking, but in my opinion the graph makes more sense the way it is now:

• the sun is above the clouds,
  • when there is no clouds then the sun is reaching all the way down to the ground,
  • and when rain is reaching the ground it is coming from the clouds and falling the last bit down.

Best regards!

1 Like

Yes, that makes sense too. Probably more sense! It was just a first impression but I’m completely used to it now.

Cheers,
Walt

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Walt.

There are many ways to plot the graph. This was the first graph in Flowx and I made it from using basic plotting principles. I do plan to add a better graph editor one day where you can create and theme your own graphs.

3 Likes

No worries Duane. The app is great and much appreciated!

Best,
Walt

3 Likes

I would love to have a bit more time resolution also. If there is any way to provide it. But even as it is I love this app. I also wish I could zoom in the map a bit more. But these are quibbles.

2 Likes

@sdryer Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like

As the main focus of Flowx is medium term, 3-7 days, with the exception of HRRR. Of what use are short term models, such as Arome ?

1 Like