Extended off-line data access

To be honest, I think this is the best solution so far. Store all prior forecasts Flowx sees in the manifest. If you accidentally download a new manifest, then you can change to a previous forecast and it’ll load what data it has.

This fixes your scenario. It fixes the case for forgetting to turn on offline mode. It allows you to compare forecasts.

But this is getting very complex. I’ll probably only add this to pro.

2 Likes

Maybe add this to the “Info” box in the top-right menu. Show a drop-down menu of prior forecasts with data data on the phone. Given how often this won’t be used, the info box might be a good place.

I mean, all we’re trying to do is stop you overheating and having to click through to the info box is not a big ask, given the benefits.

3 Likes

@duane well said again your to do list Damn I rember similar lists when I was learning vb6

2 Likes

That is appreciated.
It just shows, decisions have consequences; sweaty hot consequences.

Possibly, I’m causing your to-do list to get sweaty and hot, too!
We all just want your to-do list to equal your profits.

Keep the app awesome! Show the world how to interface with big data.

1 Like

Ha, ha, profits are yet to be seen. I’m hopeful this year might be the year :slight_smile:

Anyway, over and out. I’m off to have a beer to celebrate Radar rolling out to the world :beer:

3 Likes

@duane Cheers :beer::beer::beer:

1 Like

Time to start a BeerFundMe campaign.

That should be a thing.

I have seen a “buy the dev a beer” contribution link in-app. Imagine that!

2 Likes

@FlowxLloyd :joy::joy::+1::+1:

1 Like

But reading this line was, it made me gigle.

1 Like

I like this!
It reminds me of how a when booting a Linux machine you can (in Grub) choose an older version of the kernel. It can often be combined with a safe mode-boot.

If we keep going down this rabbit hole, then, in this analagy, the “safe-mode boot” is (somewhat) comparable to listing also the forecasts where the graphs are complete, but not the maps.

1 Like

Thanks guys, this made my day! (and it’s not even morning yet! :sweat_smile:)

I appreciate the perspective it gives.

Cheers man, you deserve it!

Ps.

A couple of things I’ve been wondering about for a while @duane:

1. If Flowx is not yet profitable, are you living of saved money, or is Flowx not your full time occupation?
  2. What is your plan after Flowx starts bring a profit, will you be more or less likely to be interested in other projects?

And conquer it!

1 Like

Don’t do this, it’ll just encourage me to drink more and code less.

We are living of “borrowed money” (we increased our mortgage), family helps too, and I work part-time. Fortunately the work is similar Android work and pays well. After the change to bronze, silver, gold, we’re bringing more in, ~$2500-$3000 NZD per month. I don’t think this has reached minimum wage yet. I’m hoping we’ll cover all our operation and living costs by 2020 - then we start paying back the loans.

Here is revenue for May each year

• May 2014: $32 (+ about the same in ad revenue)
  • May 2015: $46 (+ about the same in ad revenue)
  • May 2016: $132 (+ about the same in ad revenue)
  • May 2017: $124 (+ about the same in ad revenue)
  • May 2018: $860 (after big rewrite, one-off purchases, removed ads)
  • May 2019: $2230 (high res data, removed one-off payments, bronze/silver/gold)

I’ll say the best thing about subscriptions is that I don’t have to worry about advertising. When I had one-off purchases, you have to use that money to advertise to get more one-off purchases - it’s a waste and unsustainable. With subscriptions, all the money goes towards development because I don’t feel I have to advertise.

The best thing about profit is not having to worry about money. Profits will probably go towards loans, hiring help (especially porting to iOS) and allow me to do other projects. I always do side projects but only have one or two at a time.

4 Likes

Great idea. This would be nice in a storm or an emergency situation when you lose power or signal but can still open app and have the previous info as reference!

2 Likes

@Bajaguero Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for using Flowx

1 Like

I have just returned from a holiday which did not include WiFi access. The only app that retained weather data automatically, in an Offline Mode, was the Android app, Today Weather - using the IBM Weather Company as source.
The app automatically switched to Offline Mode when no WiFi was available. It then locked-in and displayed the weather data for the forthcoming week. No action was necessary.

Might be worth a look.

1 Like

Did Today Weather save the weather maps like temperature and wind streamlines for use offline?

@Alex I tried out Today Weather. I doesn’t have any weather maps, e.g., with temperature, in the free version. The data it downloads for a place would be at most 100kB and this would be the complete set of data. So once it gets a WiFi connection, it can download everything and use it offline. This is very easy to do.

Flowx is far more complex. When it gets a WiFi connection it’ll download the manifest (list of forecasts) and find there is a new forecast. In this case, it doesn’t download all the data, only what is turned on on the map. When you go offline, then turn on a data that hasn’t been downloaded, it’s missing and cannot show.

It would take a lot to download data for a place. I did an experiment where I downloaded all the precipitation, temperature and wind GFS data for a place at all zoom levels, and it took 71MB in the form of 230 files to download. Imagine how much would be downloaded for high res regional data for more data types.

Contrast this to Today Weather with single 0.2MB file to download.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. Obviously, now, I was comparing apples and oranges.

On holiday, all I need is simple stuff like: will it rain today and temperature. So, Today Weather fitted the bill.:umbrella::thermometer:

2 Likes