Swipe Speed

Just installed Flowx and I love it, with one exception. I find it very difficult to zero in on the specific time I wish to view and to scroll the time slowly over a short time frame. No matter how slowly I swipe, the time changes very quickly, jumping ahead of and behind the time I wish to view. Is there a way to 1) Jump direct to the current time, and 2) Set the scroll speed sensitivity?

2 Likes

Update: I just discovered that swiping vertically causes the time to change less quickly. That helps somewhat, but I would still like to be able to slow it down further.

2 Likes

Yes, there is a lot of tips in help. For example, you can tap on the time to go to the current time.

Swipe sensitivity is on the to-do list but it’s a major job because I want to it cope with different types of data sets so it might be a while in the future. Incidentally, these are the default speeds since 2013 and most people are fine with it - maybe it takes time to get used to.

Cheers, Duane.

4 Likes

Thanks for the vertical swipe tip! Works great for me!

2 Likes

I want to vote for Adaptive Swipe Speed as an option. As you swipe up or down in an attempt to slow weather activity, as you approach your current time, then the time delta should slow down (e.g. .5X or .25 X) - can be in several increments, or just 1 increment. The reason for this is that whenever I’m trying to see if it “might” rain (in HRRR), I’m almost always at the current time, but no matter how slow I move my finger, as I get closer to the current time, I swipe slower and slower, but the human finger is an irregular shape, and invariably, right when I need smooth transitions the most, the shape of my finger causes the screen to jump ever so slightly. This is only important when I’m within 1 or 2 hrs either before or after the current time.

If this can be implemented, it should require that each user implement it as an optional feature. If its hard-coded, then having the swipe up/dn response suddenly change without the user wanting it to or understand what is going on may be unsettling.

Just a suggestion. It doesn’t have to be a universal feature across all models and graphs- maybe just HRRR - which jumps to NAM by default (I think) as you cross the 18 hr threshold. If it makes it easier to implement

1 Like

I’ve just released a version where you can set the swipe speeds and also included “inertia” to the swipe direction so swipe doesn’t switch between up/down and sideways easily.

2 Likes

Oh, and there is the “Time Stepping” setting which allows you to snap to increments of time, e.g., 5 minutes.

I think 5 minute steps are good and I set my vertical swipe speed to 12 hours and horizontal speed to 100% of the range.

The “100%” means that swiping across one width of the screen is equal to 100% of the time range, e.g., 10 days.

2 Likes

That is really nice and works like i need it.
Horizontally fast sweep,
vertically exact 10min steps

Btw. I proposed this about two years ago,
but it seems to me that you are just ignoring most of my proposals.

Anyhow, i’m glad that you implemented a really good solution. Thanks!

2 Likes

This is what works well for me.

Uppdate:

“Vertical: -35 Hours”
is what works well for me.

:ok_hand::grin::+1:

1 Like

i like Horizontal 100hrs Vertical 10hrs not much different than default :grin::+1::beers:

1 Like

I’m not ignoring your proposals, they go on a list. I have limited time and the todo list is long. A request has to be critical (e.g., crashes or app freezing) or many users have to request a feature to push it up the list in priority. I won’t add a feature if only one person requests it. Making a request doesn’t mean I can implement it.

I am really limited on time and it comes down to prioritizing.

3 Likes

Here is an example of the todo lists I keep referring too. This is my second todo list. The first one got so long that I started a fresh list. Now the second todo list is too long, I’ve started a third list, but still refer back to the second list.

Every time someone makes a suggestion it goes on the list. Your requests will be in there somewhere.

3 Likes

Just love the new Swipe Sensitivity menu. The jitteriness when swiping slowly upwards has gone. Smooth as a baby’s bottom! Flowx is getting better and better.

3 Likes

I think that the “default” you refer to depends on how many days you had in view when you got used to the speed, and for up/down swipe I also think that the size of your screen matter…

1 Like