Time-stepping orthogonality

When swiping vertically, any slight horizontal deviation can compete with the intended step direction. (and vice versa). Consequently, there’s lots of choppiness.

Easiest mitigation would be ability to disable axes via configuration. Another option would be to lock the axis after moving a certain distance. (and unlock upon touch end).

I suspect this is a problem on all devices, but for reference, I’m using a Google Pixel 5.

2 Likes

Thanks @adamdoyle for posting here. Discussing things of Twitter is frustrating.

This is the fist time I’ve heard of this issue so it’s not clear it’s a problem on all device.

First we need to see if this is a real bug or hardware issue. We can see if other users chime in with their experience.

Essentially, if the swipe direction < 45 degrees, use fast mode, if swipe direction > 45, use slow mode.

So if you swipe strictly horizontally or vertically, there should be no choppiness. If you swipe at a 45 degrees angle, you might see some choppiness.

I haven’t considered a disable settings. I don’t add settings into the app without good reason. Settings should be a last resort. This is to keep Flowx simple.

I have considered adding a direction lock but, as I said, this hasn’t been reported as an issue before.

2 Likes

I’ve updated your membership level so I think you can upload a video if that helps.

3 Likes

Not sure if I explained it well, but the easiest way to reproduce the problem is if you start at the bottom, swipe upwards, and finish towards the left. The upward swipe advances time forward by a small increment. The slight left swipe does a backwards time increment. Ideally you’d draw a perfectly vertical line, but that’s difficult, so you end up with a vertical component followed by a horizontal component.

I can try to upload a video tomorrow.

2 Likes

Hi @adamdoyle and welcome to the forum!

I have experienced something similar.

My “workaround”, have been to aim for the other diagonal. Then the time stepping might switch between fast and slow, but will not change direction.

+1

2 Likes

Hi there @adamdoyle @duane,
Just my 2 cents worth. For me it depends on the horizontal scale and is subjective. If I have a scale of say 10 days then there is so much information showing that I find it hard to concentrate on the time (shown in the timeline) and it appears to be difficult to control the swiping. If, however, I choose to show only 2 days then I find it easier, less is happening and I can smoothly scroll fast or slow. So to cut my answer short I have no problem with the way it is, and plead for keeping it simple. Best wishes from Switzerland to all. Neil

1 Like

the only way I can reproduce it is if I tap any corner of the map example if I tap lower left corner of the map and swipe towards the top right corner. but normal use swipe left to right and top to bottom visa versa no issue

2 Likes

@duane Did you push an update related to this? The problem seem to be fixed now. (at least for me)

1 Like

@adamdoyle
Perhaps it was this one:

Ahh. It’s probably this one. (the axis lock we talked about earlier in this thread)

1 Like

It’s a huge improvement — thanks for adding it! As I had expected, it also fixed the choppiness when time-stepping, making it super smooth.

2 Likes