Zoom In less lead to less precision [Solved/Answered] ('Meteo-France data, “404 Data not found” errors' )

First two screenshots are Arome, zoomed out then zoomed in. The last screenshot is the same zoom setting as number 2 with just a model change to FV3.

2 Likes

Nothing linked with lores options (not switched on) or world view what is new if I rememberr ?

Have you in mind that Ariome very precise ?

(I am a dev.).

Pascal

1 Like

@Alex when I tried it zoomed out showed less wind vectors which it should do less precise info zoomed in at first info blocks weren’t all properly loaded however when zoomed in closing app then reopening data loaded correctly

1 Like

I can’t cause it to fail to the point that nothing helps @Pascal do you have debug log turned on? if so if nothing fixes it submit a debug log and @duane will look it over and provide assistance

2 Likes

@BrianLY-38

Tried closing and reopening app same result. I believe it’s switching from Arome to FV3 on zoom in.

Note that the temperature, wind speed and wind gust data are the same for the first two screenshots using Arome. But change with FV3. However the maps for screenshots 2 and 3 are the same, contradicting the displayed data.

3 Likes

@Alex very well could be a possible gremlin :thinking::thinking:

2 Likes

@BrianLY-38

Agreed. It’s a possibility.:flushed:

2 Likes

Hi @Pascal, Sorry for the late reply.

The problem is that the workers computers are not updating the Meteo-France Arome and Arpege data properly. So when you zoom in the Arome data doesn’t exist and you only see the background data.

I have found one bug and fixed it. It should update in the next few hours. Also the script to update the Meteo-France data might be a bit slower than usual.

I have some other work to do today but if I find time, I’ll try to improve these script so updates are automatic, faster and more reliable. Unfortunately, the Meteo-France servers are not easy to use or reliable so I wrote a complete script to update data but with complexity comes less reliability.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Hello Duane,

I could not answer before because of the limit reply.

Seems to be ok now!

I am really not surprised… I see often problems of updates of MF datas.

I am friend of an IT boss @ MF, do you want me to contact him for FlowX ?

Pascal

1 Like

Hi @Pascal,

Thanks for the reply. I fixed the bug and manual updates are more reliable.

I wrote the Meteo-France data processing scripts many years ago. When I wrote them I got a lot of “404 Data not found” errors. I thought the Meteo-France was tracking the number of requests from one server and blocking them. So I wrote a complex script to farm the downloading to many servers.

I have since realized Meteo-France is not blocking, rather some requests just fail. Now I’m simplifying the scripts to download data directly and retry upon 404 failures.

I’ve just finished the Arpege script and will start the Arome scripts now. This shouldn’t take too long and it should update regularly.

No need to contact the Meteo-France IT boss but if they have any feedback on Flowx and the Meteo-France data, please let them know to contact me. I’m more than happy to get feedback from the pros.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Hi Duane,

Great work!

About MF, blocking the requests are not in their intentions/style but … the 404 errors… I am not surprised.

One info, you have to know that Arome will be shortly updated to a precision of 0.6 kms ! I don’t know if your software(s)/data flow(s) are ready for that.

About my contact at M, I am sorry but I am not sure to understand what I can do ? What question can I ask ?

Tanks a lot.

1 Like

Wow, 600m, that would be the highest resolution I’ve seen. Can you send me a link to this? Or when it’s released, please let me know.

Flowx should be able to handle this data and I’ll be keen to add it.

There is no question to ask them. Just if they use Flowx and have any feedback, just send it through.

I’ve fixed the Arpege and Arome update scripts, I’m just waiting for the new forecast release to test them. It took a bit longer than expected.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

@Pascal - actually I do have a question for the Meteo-France IT boss: is it possible to get faster downloads from their server?

I download the Arpege and Arome1/2 surface data only once and process it on my servers but the download speeds is the bottleneck. In the future I might download the higher level data.

2 Likes

Ok. Again, I am not surprised about their uploads speeds.

I contact him those days and I come back to you ASAP about this.

Thanks.

2 Likes

BTW, I’ve noticed it’s show when the data has just been released, which makes sense. A while after release downloads are fast. But it’s taking me around 5-10 minutes each to download the surface data fore Arpege, Arome 0.01 and Arome 0.025.

2 Likes