36 Hour HRRR?

I’ve noticed that Windy has an HRRR forecast going out 36 hours, yet I can only find an 18 hour version on FlowX. Am I missing something? Are there plans to include the 36 hour HRRR in the near future?

David

1 Like

HRRR releases an extended (48 hours) forecast for the 0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 hour forecast runs. It is only 18 hours for the other runs in-between (0100, 0200, 0300…).

Precipitation, temperature, wind in HRRR have sub-hourly (15-minute) time frames. the extended runs don’t have sub-hourly time frames extending beyond 18 hours.

The questions is whether there is value in the HRRR 48 hours vs the NAM 3km/60 hour model, which has the exact same domain.

I have some code design in mind for coping with these mixed forecast range models but I haven’t added this to the app yet. This is part of the major rewrite of the backend code.

2 Likes

NAM is a terrifically old model. The NMM WRF hasn’t been supported for many years.

1 Like

I thought NAM 3km and HRRR were similar models/code but that memory was from over 7 years ago so it’s probably not reliable.

Essentially, I have code on the server to save the “current”, “previous” and “extended” forecasts so that the use can choose which to see in the app. The app still needs the supporting code though. This will come in the future.

2 Likes

NAM is based on the WRF-NMM, which I don’t think has been updated since 2014.

HRRR uses WRF-ARW.

2 Likes

Thanks. Which one do you use for Expedition Marine?

2 Likes

ARW, but quite a different physics configuration than HRRR.

1 Like