Buying Flowx Pro without Google Play Store?[Answered]

Hi,Duane,
Checked out this wonderful app and it looks like the one for me IF I can source it without the Play Store.
Just got the new P40 Pro from Huawei, and no Google stuff allowed. Any way to get the app somewhere else that’s not dodgy? Also, I would like to pay my subscription yearly if that is possible. Don’t know if the app allows that at all. Would have contacted you directly, but I also don’t use Social Media at all. Just OldSkool,I guess, so I’m posting this here. Hoping for a reply or e-mail.(spudge@protonmail)
Thanks for your time,
Randy

5 Likes

@Rando Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx. currently Google Play is the only option

3 Likes

Hi @Randy,

Google Play handles everything to do with purchases - they take a 15-30% cut for this. All I can do is check, refund and revoke purchases. Replicating this outside Google Play would be a big undertaking and well beyond my resources.

Another user has asked about adding the Huawei Store and this is a possibility but it’s hard to justify at the moment. Maybe when we can afford to hire help.

Note, I’ve just changed the title to make it more descriptive.

Cheers, Duane.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info, guys. I was afraid this would be the answer, but I had to try. I understand the complexities you would face trying to make this happen. It is a best-of-class app. Maybe someday.

5 Likes

Same problem here - the app is not present in the Huawei Store. Petal Search finds a APK which works, but it’s some free version - and I’d like to pay for a full version. The FlowX app is just too good: every other weather/wind forecast app I tried is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

@KEWerner Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

2 Likes

If we can find enough support to justify adding Flowx to the Huawei Store, I can look into it. At the moment it’ll probably take a week or so of work to add it - this is quite a bit of time for me - so it needs to be worthwhile. By this I don’t mean financially (though that is nice), I mean I can add a feature or new data source in the same time that will benefit more people.

But I encourage others to mention Huawei store if they want it - this will cause this job to bubble up the priority list.

4 Likes

Hello Duane hello flowx community,

I also really love your app and I appreciate not using Ads or tracking to monetize it.
I’m on CalyxOS trying to avoid the all seeing eye of Google as best as I can.
Sadly that comes with the caveat of not being able to make purchases through the PlayStore.

I would love to get a Gold subscription of flowx.
Sorry for digging out this post from three years ago, but I’d really appreciate a different method of purchasing a subscription.

I’ve seen developers do this through Patreon for example.
Would that be a possibility?
Is your stance toward this the same as in 2020?

Best regards,
Henner

2 Likes

@henner Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like

I would be happy to support other payment methods but it’s a bit of work to understand, implement and maintain for a single developer. But I"m using RevenueCat for the iOS app and plan to use it with Android too. I believe they support other non-Google/Apple payment system and this might be the path to this in the future.

When I release a desktop version, I suspect this will force me to solve this issue.

3 Likes

That sounds great!
It seems RevenueCat also supports web based payments, so that might be the jack of all trades for this issue.

I can only imagine the workload as a single developer for this app.
Wish I could help. I’m a developer myself, but I mostly do C# and some web development and have little time or drive to code outside of work.

But I appreciate the quick response and look very much forward to an alternative payment method some time in the future.

Thanks!

2 Likes

The other difficult aspect is not breaching Google Play or App Store rules such that you might get kicked off those platforms. For example, I think the App Store at some stage would not allow you to sell apps via another method at a lower cost - not sure if this is still the case.

2 Likes

Yeah that sucks…but somehow it doesn’t suprise me at all.
Apple using its monopoly inside its ecosystem against the users’ interest?
Who would have thought?

2 Likes

Hello!
I am also using a degoogled phone and would love to pay for the pro version. I have /e/ OS installed on my device.

2 Likes

@Gloomy-Tank-4646 Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like