Can't Create Widget

Hello,

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, with Android 9.0, and Flowx 3.346. After a long period of not using Flowx widgets, I tried to install one, but it won’t. I go to my list of widgets, then drag the Flowx widget to where I want it, but the Configure Widget screen never comes up. Instead, a blank screen comes up, and I eventually get an error message telling me that Flowx isn’t responding. I have cleared Flowx’s cache and data, then uninstalled Flowx, restarted my phone, and reinstalled Flowx, but I still get the same error message, that Flowx isn’t responding. I also have Flowx installed on my Samsung Tab S5e, with Android 11.0, and Flowx 3.346, and get the same results, when I try to install a Flowx widget. Doesn’t matter if I use the stock launcher or Nova. Having no problems installing widgets of other apps.

Thank you
Pedum

2 Likes

Sorry, I can’t help anymore with widgets. I’ve spent so much time on widgets and it’s been a right pain. Just search “widget” on the forum and you’ll see how much time it has taken.

The widget works on some phone but not on others. When I fix something on some phones, it breaks on others. It just doesn’t make sense.

Anyway, this widget code is over 8 years old and I think the best thing is to rewrite the widget from scratch. I’m currently rewriting the backend code and I’m hoping this will replace all the old code.

Cheers, Duane.

3 Likes

@Pedum try cleaning app cache and clearing app data you will have to reset up Flowx unless you export settings hope it helps

1 Like

Actually, I saw the Crash/ANR reports this morning. It doesn’t look like the issue I was thinking.

Can you try opening the app, set the data source to GFS and then try and add a widget?

Let me know if that works or not.

2 Likes

Just a note, clearing the app data pretty much like reinstalling the app.

3 Likes

After saying I can’t help, I’ve found the bug and fixed it. I thought it was theme/OS related but this was to do with a unique sets of conditions. You had to be in the USA so your first location was somewhere in the USA, be a Gold subscriber, open the app, turn on HRRR and then add a widget.

Release 3.348 will be out in the next few hours with the fix.

3 Likes

BTW @Pedum, it was because of your persistent trying and reinstalls that the crash log got inundated with the same crash bug that I noticed. Also it showed that the bug was able to be replicated if we knew the condition to replicate it.

3 Likes

Yes, I am in the USA, I am a Gold subscriber, was using HRRR in the widget, etc.

Thank goodness for crash logs. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have downloaded, and installed 3.348. So far widgets appear to be working correctly.

Thank you Duane.

pedum

2 Likes

Sorry to disappoint but I comply with none of those conditions and I have the same problem. Except that no error msg is shown. I hv Huawei pro-lx1 under android 8 in Portugal. The widget was ok but yesterday I removed it and tried to reinstall. However it just does nothing when draging from the widget panel.
The same happened some months ago with another app (wheather & radar) and they managed to solve it after a while. Reinstall, clear cache etc was of no use.
The app works ok but this widget is very important. It is the soul of the app and what really makes a diference, praises and atracted many of my friends to join us.

2 Likes

try sending a bug report might help @duane

1 Like

Tks. Not possible bcs this happens in android, outside the app while installing the widget.
I stoped the app, then installed the widget. That failed and surely no report was generated by the not runnig app.
(Unless there is some kind of android log? but I dont know how to reach it)

1 Like

If you go into Flowx Settings, turn on debug log, then go through the process of adding a widget, then send me the debug log via Flowx Settings. Also email a screen shot of the widget, even if it’s blank.

Also is there a picture of the Flowx widget in the list of all widgets? or is it just a box with the Flowx logo?

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

When I have experienced problems with putting widgets on the home screen, both with Flowx and with other apps, the thing that usually do the trick is a restart of the android phone.

(No reinstall, or clearing cache etc.)

thks
When I had the same problem with another app, I did a factory reset and it didnt solve.
I did not this now because probably it will not work and creates a lot of other problems. Shall I?
I would say the problem is related to some update on the android core needing a compatibility patch in the app.

1 Like

Don’t do a factory reset.

One possibility is to clear the Flowx data, uninstall Flowx, restart the phone and then reinstall Flowx.

I sometimes have issues with the widget but this is when the list of widgets doesn’t show a image of the Flowx widget. This seems to be an install problem.

2 Likes

Tks
I did what u say and as I expected it did not solve.
I checked that other widgets are installing ok

1 Like

Can you post a screenshot of the list of widgets where the Flowx widget is shown?

2 Likes