Distance Rings

@duane was wondering if it would be possible to add Distance Rings like in RainViewer when you long tap on the map?

2 Likes

Yes, this has been on the list for a very long time. I was planning to add as a tool, ie., you click in on/off like data.

5 Likes

@duane Sweet. :slight_smile::+1:

2 Likes

I think the most interesting distansera would be 1,000 km, 450 km and 160 km.

Since they correspond to the maximum possible (horizontal) distance (d in image below) to the top of the noctilucent clouds,
the cumulonimbus clouds, and the “typical, run-of-the-mill, non-storm cumulus clouds, at their typical maximum heights (h in image below) respectively.

2 Likes

@Ohan the ones I was talking about are distance from location chosen. Distance from the storm

2 Likes

I’ll make the distances configurable because someone else will want their own set of distances.

This is a classic “can’t satisfy all the people” feature :slight_smile:

6 Likes

@duane I understand. If it gets to be a hassle just dismiss. I know sometime ago you mentioned adding an item that would go with the miles from selected area. same with RainViewer.

2 Likes

@BrianLY-38, I think @Ohan means the distance from his location.

3 Likes

Cloud height for me I don’t need to know I’m on the ground lol however it would be useful to piolets

2 Likes

@Ohan is talking about a thousand kilometers, so I’m guessing either he means meters upwards, or horizontally.

4 Likes

Yes please!

The thing I’m interested in is how big area neads to be cloud free, in order for the direct path from the sun, when at the horizon, will not be obstructed by the clouds.

2 Likes

Yes, if in travel mode.

Yes, this if chosen a different location.

The main idea is "how far do I need to travel to see the sun/moon rice/set.

BTW, se updated post above with image.

2 Likes

I got the info on cloud highs from this article:

@BrianLY-38 yes, I’m also mostly on the ground.

@duane is it possible (and wanted to work on) getting the cloud hight in the forecasts some how represented in the animation (, currently or in the future)?

1 Like

Wow, you love your sunsets :slight_smile:

Yes, cloud height is high on the todo list. In fact, I have a cool tool planned for this.

3 Likes

Yes i do!
Especially when living in a place when they so often are covered by clouds.

And it’s especially useful to find out where to be to see eclipses and red super full moons.

In fact the last red moon I (mostly) missed due to clouds.

I have not yet seen an eclips, but when I get the chance, I want to have the best possible knowledge about where to be in order not to miss it.

This is awesome, makes me glad to hear!

1 Like

@duane & @Ohan in edit place - clouds isn’t High, Mud, Low similar to what Ohan is looking for? Since High = above 20,000ft Mid = 6,500 to 20,000ft Low = below 6,500ft

2 Likes

@BrianLY-38, I have seen some data for the cloud heights. I’m not sure if it’s in all data sources.

4 Likes