Fix the growth bug

Let’s discuss ideas for helping out with this!

One idea is to create more of an incentive for users to introducing Flowx to their friends and acquaintances. This can be done by offering discounts on premium, or even a limited period of free premium as a bonus for a certain amount of recruitment of new users (and potentially dependent on what plan the recruitment sign up for).

I know cellphone carrier companies and electric scoter rental companies that do apply similar models.

1 Like

Thanks @Ohan,

I am just about to go into a phase of bug fixing (incl. widgets), stability, speed, polish and growth. This means no major features for a few months. But I will improve existing features in minor ways and maybe add some more data.

Essentially, I’ve spent 7-8 years developing features ahead of growth. So now I focus on growth. The plan is simple:

1. grow enough to hire help
  2. hire help to grow faster
  3. repeat until Duane can spend time making cool features :slight_smile:

I have considered offers to users for sharing. All the subscriptions and payments are handled by Google and they have limited ways to do this. Promo codes are probably the closest to what we need. The other thing is that the privacy on Android is quite good. If a users shares a Flowx link with friends, I cannot see who they shared it with, to how many people, what platform they shared it to or even if they finished the share process. So I would have to create a unique code, they can share and then resolve this code on the new install and grab a promo code. I’m also limited to 400 promo codes per quarter I think. Certainly doable but a bit of work. Because of the limited number of promo codes, I’ll have to identify the high use users since they might have like minded friends.

It’s important to get users that value the data in the app. People that don’t find much value in the data tend to misinterpret the data and complain about accuracy.

That said, I think users that like Flowx are already sharing the app with friends.

I have noticed growth comes from exposure on the wider internet. So I plan to get more Flowx content out there. I’ve nearly finished a movie maker so users can share Flowx videos. More OpenZones. I’m also considering OpenZones for other things like sports events.

Also I need to improve the on-boarding. New users find the learning curve steep.

3 Likes

This sounds cool!

So far I’ve been using “Ez ScreenCorder”.

1 Like

@duane is this something that you are working on now, plan to actually be working on soon, or ponder if it is a time-effective way of generate growth?

1 Like

It’s a bit of work, very fiddly, it’s not clear if it’ll be a smooth process, and the return on invested time is not clear.

Contrast that to a movie maker that many users share with a Flowx link that when clicked will open an instant app of Flowx with that location.

The first is a “user to a few friends in a closed circle” process and the latter is a “user to many (the whole internet)” process.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree with your thinking, given the complications of the circumstances.

I’m assuming that you have been thinking of the obvious: to make gif one of possible formats from the movie maker.

1 Like

Animated GIF is on the list but probably not in the first release but soon after.

2 Likes

Any progress?
There’s been a quiet good long week now.
(Been on vacation perhaps? :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

Just the movie maker. It’s been a tough month or two. We’re also trying to build a house which is a time consuming and disruptive process. But I have been thinking I should take a vacation or not work for a week.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Yes, after a tough period both the body and mind needs some rest.

I recommend a restful vacation including some light exercise in the nature!

It does wonders for your health!

1 Like

As a new user of the free version I am very impressed. So, naturally I’m curious about the premium versions.
However, the acronyms used to describe the different subsription levels are unknown to me (as far as specifically what benefits, advantages, or resolution are provided in addition to what the free version already shows.
While this is obious to everyone on the developer side or to those that have a background in weather, I don’t have a clue. Also. If this descriptive detail is already provided somewhere on the website I wasn’t smart enough to locate it.
Maybe adding a link in the premium tab of the free version that leads to more in depth detail of each level (without having to take extra time to dig online) to make someone want, or feel the need, to step up to a paid subscription at that moment of curiosity?

2 Likes

Thanks @George, and welcome to the forum. Thanks for taking the time to join and post some help for me.

Yes, my details are lacking and I do intend to improve these both on the website and in the app. The website does list the differences between the data sources but it doesn’t explain these in term of subscription levels.

We can group new users into two groups, those who are new to this type of weather data and those who know about them, e.g., pilots and weather enthusiasts know what HRRR is.

For the first group, it’s quite a big step to go from a typical weather app with icons representing the weather to the data in Flowx. This requires better education which is what I need to work on. But once you’ve got the hang of it, the weather forecasts can be a very powerful tool.

I have written stuff in the help but it’s not well structured and people don’t tend to read the help. So I’ve thought about other ways, e.g., video tutorials. It’ll be great is Physics in a Minute did some weather videos on how weather forecasting works.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time for your reply. It was quite helpful as a reference that I had obviously missed something that was in plain sight. So, I went back to look for “help” link in the app. So simple, yet I was so blind to the easy way to access all the information I was wanting. I had just needed to go back to the menu & scroll down farther.
Previously, I had first located the access to the online forum and then spent time rooting around on the website before signing in & writing my comment. It’s a bit embarrasing to have missed the obvious.
Thanks again for your patience & direction.

1 Like