Flashing screen on settings page

Hi Duane. On my pixel tablet all works well except for the ‘Settings’ page which just quickly flashes on and off. It consistently does this. On my pixel phone which as far as I can see is on the same Android version works as expected. I had a play with display settings but no luck. Any ideas?

2 Likes

@sctajc very strange indeed I’m using android 12 haven’t had an issue with the settings page sorry @duane might know. do you have debug logging turned on he might ask you to send a debug log via the app.

2 Likes

I can’t get to turning on logging because of the flashing. This is a video of it.

Hope that works

2 Likes

oh my. have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the app?

1 Like

Hi!

My reaction was also “Oh My!” - the flickering almost looks like a hardware issue, but it can’t be if other apps work without problems.

I’ve attached a link to instructions for clearing App Caches and wonder if it might do the trick.
HTH and good luck,
Pete

https://www.hexnode.com/blogs/what-why-when-and-how-to-clear-cache-on-android-devices/#:~:text=Device%20performance%20issues%3A%20If%20you,the%20device%20to%20slow%20down.

2 Likes

That was one of the first things I did. Then tried reinstalling. If I use split screen the problem goes away.

2 Likes

Yes to me this definitely looks like a hardware issue.
Or rather something cased by how the software is being limited by hardware constraints.

It makes sense with the fact that split wiew is working.

Something in the hardware, i. e. cpu, gpu or some of the memory devices is not enough for the total of operations needed to both run all the things that is running on the device (including system and perhaps other apps in the background) and to render everything for this app in full screen mode.

1 Like

Yes, as you say Ohan, the split screen viewing is a clue to system resources being outstripped - strange though that simply opening the settings page triggers the problem, yet the main app view with all of its demands on the display side of things is working fine…
Over to you Duane!

2 Likes

It’s great that you guys are talking about this bug.

I’m not looking into it because I don’t have a tablet I can replicate this on so it’s search in the dark for the cause which can be very time consuming and possibly cause other bugs in the process.

If users with any tablet can post their observations, it might form a pattern. If you can post your:

• tablet brand/model
  • Android version
  • whether you see the flickering or not.

Then we might see a pattern. Is it is:

• on all tablets then it’s likely a Flowx code issue
  • isolated to one tablet model then it is likely OS issue
  • isolated to one user then it’s likely some optimization app installed on the users tablet.
2 Likes

Brand IPlay_50 Android Ver.12 No Flickering in Portrait or Landscape Modes

1 Like

Interesting. The flashing on the Pixel Tablet in settings is only in portrait mode. Not landscape mode.

2 Likes