GFS data wrong for Buenos Aires

Currently the GFS prediction for Buenos Aires shows highs for the next week on the high 90s F. Another app I have reports GFS highs in the low 80s, which agrees with the Argentine National Meteorological Service predictions and observations. This makes me think somehow the GFS numbers are getting messed up, since they are very different from what the other app says GFS is predicting as well as what the temperature actually is. I’m using the Android app at the bronze level.

2 Likes

Can you send a screenshot of what you’re seeing on Flowx and also send a screenshot and link to the GFS you are comparing it to?

2 Likes

@timm Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like

Ah, I replied to this email, but not to the forum. Here’s what FlowX shows and what Windy shows, and the current forecast from SNM, the Argentine National Weather Service. FlowX has been showing GFS forward up to 97F over the past week or so.

2 Likes

Your location for Buenos Aires in Flowx is not the same as the other places.

2 Likes

Well, you are right about that. I wonder how I did that? Somehow I touched the screen after searching for the city? Anyway, you are absolutely correct. There is nothing wrong with FlowX except that it apparently attracts moronic users who are capable of misplacing cities of 15 million people.

Never mind.

2 Likes

Ah, I see what happened. When you search on Buenos Aires to set the location, you get 3 choices:

Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, the capital.

Buenos Aires, Comuna 6, Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, a neighborhood in the center of the capital.

Buenos Aires, which is a random inland location in BA province where there isn’t even a village.

I picked the 3rd of these because of the short name, didn’t look closely at the map to see where the dot was, and ended up with the wrong location. At a much hotter location now at the start of summer.

Now feeling slightly less moronic.

2 Likes

It’s an easy mistake to make. I’ve seen the city vs region issue before.

2 Likes