Have you considered a Meteogram chart?

I’ve been using Windy, but like FlowX better. One of their charts is a Meteogram, which shows cloud layers at a given location over time. It is pretty cool and would be a neat addition to FlowX.

Here is an example:

Best Regards,

David

4 Likes

That’s true, it is really cool and intuitive. Like it too.

2 Likes

so is that showing what altitude the clouds are at? If so that would be an amazing feature to have!

1 Like

Yes, that is the idea. Any word from the developers if this has any chance of being implemented?

1 Like

This is possible if I can find the data source but not all data sources would have this data. I have seen cloud base and cloud top data in GFS. Then the next step would be drawing it. I am rewriting the backend code of Flow to support more flexible generation of graphs so this would be the time to consider this. The clouds look complex to render so it’ll take some thinking and work.

I’m hopeful that after the rewrite we will see many new features added quickly. The current code is getting restrictive to fast development.

5 Likes

Duane–

Glad you are considering the feature and changing the backend to make some of these things easier in general.

I would be surprised if the better forecasts don’t include a comprehensive vertical profile, which is called a “sounding”. Weather folks measure the world this way, for example with weather balloons. I am not a meteorologist or anything, but I would be surprised if weather models didn’t include forecasts of one of the primary measurements being made.

It must be in there somewhere, I hope you can find it!

Best Regards,

David

2 Likes

bump on this topic. Any progress or updates?

Windy is getting better, and I’d rather do everything within FlowX.

I notice that you are able to report clouds based on level (fog, low, med, high), so you have some cloud altitude data. That would be good enough for me on a meteogram, I don’t need exact heights of cloud layers personally.

One idea would be to have a version of Monkey’s Wedding with clouds shown in layers instead of the graph of cloud cover %. Draw the cloud density by coloring the four layers varying degress of darkness – sort of like the Windy Meteogram but with fewer pixels.

David

1 Like

Still working on it as part of the major rewrite.

3 Likes

Rough timing? This quarter, this year, next year…?

David

1 Like

I have no timing for this. The port to Apple was supposed to be finished 18 months ago and I’m still going.

Many users are asking for features. I have a backlog of data source updates, e.g., ECMWF upgrade from 0.40 degrees to 0.25 degrees. I really want to get the Apple port code to Android so I’m not working with two code bases. So many things. I’m just prioritizing a couple of things in front of me.

3 Likes

Someone asked for the Eclipse path data for the April 2024 eclipse over the USA. I still don’t know if I can get it done.

3 Likes

It’s truly amazing what you, alone, have achieved. Well done :+1:

2 Likes