HRRR 48 hour model

Does/will flowx support the 48 hour HRRR model that comes out every 6 hours?

I looked but have not seen this addressed.

Thanks for a great product!

2 Likes

Yes, see flowx.io/help/datasources.

2 Likes

NOAA HRRR Smoke (Experimental)
Has
Time Period: 48-hours
And
Forecast Updates: every 24 hours

NOAA HRRR
(Gold subscription)
Has
Time Period: 18-hours
And
Forecast Updates: every hour!!

Which one has:

I am talking about the 48 hour run they do for precipatation at 0z,6z,12z, 18z. It should increase the HRRR on the main widget/screen from 18 hours to 48 hours automatically when that model comes in .

See Models: HRRR — Pivotal Weather

Thanks

1 Like

I would certainly love to see more HRRR data, but I’m not sure how easy that is to handle on the backend. It’s possible that some data (precip) could come from HRRR, but other data (say temp) would have to come from another model depending on how far out you’re looking.

@duane - Is Flowx currently built to be able to pull this off or would this capability be a significant enhancement?

1 Like

Yes, Flowx can do this but you will only see it if you catch the right hour (00, 06, 12, 18h). Two possible solutions:

• I could make another HRRR data source for the 48 hour set. Relatively Easy.
  • I could allow selection of a prior forecast in the app but this means the server will have to store old forecasts which is costly for disk space. It is also hard to add this feature to the app. It adds complexity.

So maybe a separate HRRR data source is needed??

4 Likes

I was actively checking for the 48 hour and it didn’t seem to me as if it showed correctly at least not on the graphs.

I agree the relatively easy way would be to add a data source, and although it would be cool to be able to switch between model runs, I don’t think you would appreciate the additional server costs and recoding to do that. I also don’t know how much value would be added

2 Likes

Do you find much value in comparing runs? Or is it a curiosity thing?

2 Likes

You can see a trend of a storm but for everyday use not really

1 Like

I’d certainly be in favor of a separate, selectable datasource. I assume that beyond 48 hours the model data would fall back to GFS or whatever other model is appropriate like the current HRRR model does?

1 Like

This might take a little bit longer than I thought because I’m trying to work out how to do this without having to process and store the data again. Likewise, it’ll be good if Flowx doesn’t download replicate storing HRRR data on the phone.

2 Likes

No rush and no worries - much appreciated for even considering.

1 Like