No snow

Hi Duane - I’m not seeing any snow, even in places where it’s definitely snowing, or has been recently. This has never worked for me. Oh, and the FAQ page is returning a Page Not Found error.

2 Likes

I’ve tried forced refreshes, but there’s stilk no snow data…

2 Likes

@beardypete Same here

1 Like

No probs here. Working fine for the models that support snow.

2 Likes

Hi Alex - I’m not clear what you mean about ‘models that support snow’. Isn’t it just a question of which subscription tier you’re on?

1 Like

@beardypete models are the NOAA, CMC, DWD etc.

1 Like

Regardless of subscription, not all the models support Snow. An activated snow icon, on screen, should be visible.

1 Like

Yes you need to tick snow, click “+” icon under edit place -> source/data (choose a model that supports it, otherwise you won’t be able to tick)
Anyways regardless of that, among models supporting snow ICON, GDPS and COSMO are OK, only GFS isn’t showing any snow data for me.

On a side note, it would be nice having snow for AROME since it supports it

2 Likes

Ahhhh… now I understand the terminology. I didn’t know that the term ‘model’ referred to the weather data source.

I normally use the Meteo-France Arpege feed for my local weather info and, because this isn’t compatible, the app automatically removes the snow overlay option. Because of the app’s behaviour, I’d assumed that if the snow icon appeared then the source must support this - isn’t this the way things work?

When looking for snow info in recent days (winter is just arriving in the UK), I had switched to NOAA as this did allow the snow overlay icon to appear. However, it seems that there is a problem with NOAA, as there’s never been any snow animation shown on my devices.

Since posting here, I’ve tried the CMC and DWD models, neither of which I’d normally use, and both are showing the snow overlay, so I’ll use them.

Thanks again for your rapid feedback :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Alex, I was puzzled by the terminology - I think that it’s a problem with the NOAA feed that I’d switched to for snow info. CMC and DWD feeds are working fine, but I hadn’t tried them.

2 Likes

Hello everyone.

Firstly, big apologies for not being around. I’ve been doing man-stuff in building a house. Hammered over 700 nails yesterday. It’s quite a change from building virtual things.

Secondly, I’ve been glancing at your conversation over the last day and was impressed with everyone helping out. This is what I’ve wanted to see on this forum. Thanks for all your input.

Finally, I think you’ve answered the question.

Yes, only some sources (models) support snow. If you change the source/model and snow is not supported, the icon will disappear.

Snow quite difficult to process. Some models give the snow rate (easy), others give the accumulated snow so I have to de-accumulate it to get the rate, some give snow depth so I calculate rate from the positive change in depth, and some give a category (snow, ice pellets, freezing rain, rain) for the precipitation. I will review all the sources/models and see which ones have snow.

Thanks again for the support. Here are some photos of the building.

Us digging many holes:

The status as off yesterday:

2 Likes

@duane Appreciate all You Do. Looking Good Brother and Sister :+1:

1 Like

There should be snow for:

• GFS
  • NAM 12km
  • NAM Conus
  • HRRR
  • GDPS
  • RDPS
  • HRDPS
  • ICON
  • ICON EU
  • Cosmo D2
  • HARMONIE*

* a little hint of what’s coming soon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Same problem with the GFS 25KM. I have the snow icon set up, but shows no precip at all, even if it is the only selected icon. Thank you and otherwise great job with this!

1 Like

Hi @WxWayne,

This might be a download issue. Can you try a force refresh by clicking refresh twice?

Also can you send a screenshot and email me the debug log?

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Hi Duane…
Another data point for you WRT no snow with GFS 25km.
Snow icon is available but no snow forecasting in shown on map.
Precipitation (liquid) works aok.
All other NOAA and CMC models work as expected for snow and precip.
Double tap force refresh does not fix the problem.
Let me know if you need if you need any extra screenshots or logs…
Are you roofing yet??
Thank you, Cee

2 Likes

Yes, I looked at GFS snow today and the data seems to be all zeros. I had a quick look at the processing code and it looks like I’m doing it wrong but will take a bit of work to get tit fixed.

All other data sources are good though.

Interior painting is all done. Just tiling, final plumbing, final electrical, kitchen and decks to do. It’s a bit harder now we’re in NZ to remotely do these so I go back in April to complete the rest.

This is probably the best looking picture of the house:

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

@duane looking Awesome

Re: “…get tit fixed…” (sic)
Don’t be too hard on yourself Duane :joy::joy::joy:

Keep up the good work, it’s much appreciated - oh, and Happy New Year!

2 Likes

I’ll be gentle.

2 Likes