Noaa gfs fv3

Hi.

First, great place, thanks for setting this up.

I was just wondering if there was a comparison of all the data sources. Like each data sources strength and weaknesses?

Amazing app. Thanks for taking your time to develop it and maintain it!

Good to see you here Jeremy.

Comparisons between data sources so you can compare them is brought up a lot. Generally, different data sources are best for different locations and seasons, so it’s not a good idea to get into discussions about which data source is best.

On the technical side, it’s not too difficult to plot different sources on a graph but it a bit more difficult on the map. I really haven’t come up with a good way to do this.

I’ve tried plotting the cloud data for GFS and GDPS with different colors and with 50% transparency on the maps but it was quite messy.
cloud video

There is also the NOAA blend models (USA only), which blends different sources together, but I don’t know what it’s like compared to reality. I plan to add this data soon.

Another long term project I’d like to do is allow users to enter measured data, e.g., temperature, and the app compare it to the different data source. On top of this, it could calculate biased errors and improve the predictions. This would be quite cool to do.

Cheers, Duane.

1 Like

Understandable. Just wondering.

I really like the idea of allowing the users to input data for biased errors to improve predictions.

I like the idea too. It’s probably an idea like panning - I should have done this ages ago :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Meteoblue has some interesting ways of presenting multiple models and also comparisons to historical:

Just thought this might give you some ideas if you haven’t seen their site before.

I use Flowx much more frequently than I do Meteoblue. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @ericm,

That’s pretty cool. This is what I was thinking but also plotting error based on how far out the prediction is, e.g., comparing temperature for the 2 days into the future. Also this is based on fixed weather stations. The idea is to compare it with your measurements at your house. You could even have inside vs outside your house (if you have no internal heating or cooling) - this would be very cool.

Comparisons is quite a complex task and can end up being a never ending hole of things to do :slight_smile:

Cheers, Duane.

1 Like