Radar automatic refresh not working properly, forced refresh still need

This is good news!

Exited to see what your investigations will lead to.

A follow up on this the topic of reloading the radar and forecasts:

Would it be possible to continnue to display the old tiles until the new ones are loaded?

It seams that when a reload is initiated, the old data is thrown away and thje new tiles are loaded from an empty map.

Is this by design, or, would it be possible to do it in a better way?

When on a verry slow connection, (for example when camping in the middle of the forest) it can take some time to reload the new tiles.

So, would it be possible to continnue to display the old tiles until the new ones are loaded?

2 Likes

Only the newest radar tiles that are missing on the phone are downloaded. But it reloads all the data on to the map after the download. There might be a problem with the newest download that causes the blanking??

It’s difficult to find a bug that is sporadic and hard to replicate. Essentially, I figure out what is happening over time from all the clues.

3 Likes

For example, I’ve found that I have to wait a day before the problem is replicated, so it means I can only test it once a day.

3 Likes

@duane what a pain huh.

1 Like

But you are not allone, bro!
Together we can test multiple times a day.

Another idea is if you have an older but working phone lying around, then you can troubleshoot on that too, dubbeling your testing capabilities.

1 Like

Yay, good news guys. I caught the bug in the wild today with the debugger and found the cause. It’s a silly oversight by myself and will be fixed in the next release.

It took me a few days of trying to catch it, essentially I needed to leave radar for more than 24 hours to catch it.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that!

Especially since for me. In V3.132 it got way worse. Right now for me, the radar overlay allmost never shows.

1 Like

I get a working radar overlay for awhile after a new version, and then it degrades over time until it isn’t there anymore.

One thing I noticed during the “degrades” step was that toggling the indicator for radar, down in the bottom row, would move the now-line back to whenever the most recent radar data was, but it wouldn’t show anything. Manually move the now-line into the past and it would show. (For awhile. It has stopped doing this.)

Rebooting, forcing data reset, etc. don’t affect this; getting a new version of the app installed does.

2 Likes

Hi @Oak,

Those are all the symptoms of the bug I recently fixed. I’m hoping to get the fix out into beta today.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Splendid!

Thanks you!

2 Likes

Now I’m curious, can you please explain more the nature of the bug?

1 Like

Hi @Ohan, I use the coverage map with the radar but the coverage generally doesn’t change much over time so I only update the coverage on the server every hour and in the app after the file is a day old.

The bug occurred because when a tile loaded the coverage file it would ask how old it was. If it was older than a day, it would send a request to the downloader to download the coverage file and wait for the file to be downloaded. The problem is that the download also asks whether the file needs downloading, just in case it’s already downloaded but this used a different piece of code which said it didn’t need downloading. So the tile kept waiting for the coverage file to download and never loaded.

This is why it takes at least a day for the bug to happen.

I’ve fixed it to use the same code now. My code is pretty messy and needs tidying.

2 Likes

Thanks for explaining.
And thanks for finding and fixing the the bug!
Verry much appreciated!

1 Like

I just emailed a debug-log since forced update is sometimes still needed.

Sometimes I’m experiencing that after a (single manual) refresh was performed, both a single tap and a double tap on the time digits would lead to displaying different times, but none of them showing radar. Radar was however viable if swipeimg a little to the left to an earlier time.

When I did a “double” refresh = forced refresh, and then the double tap on the time then this would lead to radar data being shown.

This was in V3.136

2 Likes

It’s been working allot better since you @duane did fix the bug that you did!

I think this is about refinement of making it work even better (or it could be called another smaller bug if you prefer).

2 Likes

Could just be time zone differences or it just shows nearest hour maybe

1 Like

Interesting hypothesis but I don’t think so.

Mostly a gut feeling, and perhaps some more:

It seamed defenetly like it tired to “show the last time with available radar data” when dubbeltapin the time, but that the data was not there.

After a forced refresh, moments later it worked for the same time, and I did not shance the timezone in between, nor the zoom. So there was. Definitely radardata at that time and place that was suppose to be displayed. And I did manual (single tap, non forced) up data multiple times, and waited longer than what’s normally needed. So if it was downloadimg and displaying it should hane had enough time to so.

I wounder, @duane, if the part of the code that’s executed then dubletaping the time just checks the timestamp for the latest avaliable radardata, of it also checks if it (correctly) have been downloaded?

(Perhaps a checksum could be good on downloaded (radar) data to compare and see if it became corrupt or only partially downloaded?)

I’m finding that this only happens if Flowx is left on in the background for a while (but it’s definitely not needed to wait 24 h). Then when the app is brought back from the list of apps running in the background the radardata is not refreshed automatically, nor on normal manual refresh. Only forced refresh will result in the latest, radar being downloaded. (*)

If however the app is closed and reopened, then the latest radar data is downloaded without the need to do manual refresh at all (normal nor forced).

(*) Perhaps the behavior here is dependent on Android settings for what/or how many apps are allowed to do what in the background?

1 Like

The time is different because the latest radar image is not current. It’s at least 10 minutes old. This is the amount of time it takes to capture the radar image, processing it, and your app downloading it. It’s very difficult to get the current image immediately.

It seems the original bad bug is fixed but it sounds like there is another bug there. Like the last bug it might take time to find and fix since we don’t know a way to easily replicate it.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

My experience is that it is replicated by:

1. Open Flowx.
  2. Leave it on in the background.
  3. Wait more than 10 min or so. (I guess untill the manifest says that there is new radar data awailable.
  4. Re-open Flowx from list of apps running in background. (Don’t zoom in/out, don’t change location and don’t do forced refresh.)
  5. Togle between double taping and single taping on the time. Notice the lac of radar data displayed in both cases.

(I’m guessing that the time being displayed when dubletaping on the time is the time of latest available radar data, according to the manifest, but that the radar data is not being displayed since it was not downloaded automatically yet, while Flowx was in the background, or that the data it corrupted, incomplete, or the download was set to lower priority by the android system while Flowx was in background.)

1. Do a forced refresh, or close Flowx and restart it.
  2. Togle between double tap and single tap on the time. Notice that double tap will display about 10 min old radar (as it should, since it s the latest avaliable) , and that single tap will display current time, without radar.
  3. Repeat from “2.”
1 Like