Release 3.314 (15 Jan 2021)Beta

Release 3.314 (15 Jan 2021)Beta

• New ~1km domain for the Cook Islands. Thanks again Expedition Marine.

• Fixed an Openzone crashing bug.

• Fixed the Expedition Marine domains in Sydney.

1 Like

Please turn off Apple icon in menu bar. It is an affront and weird ad for Apple in an Android app. (I’m no lawyer, but I suspect you are also in trademark violation unless you are using the Apple icon with their permission. I doubt you want to tangle with Apple IP attorneys.) I know you want to advertise for Apple app programmers, but this is a dogshit way to do it.

David

3 Likes

I’ve had a range of responses from this Apple ad.

A majority of people have been positive. People are genuinely happy we are going to Apple, even if they don’t use Apple themselves. For example:

“Can’t tell you how much I love and depend on your app. I used to make fun of Apple users who don’t have it, now I feel sorry for them. Glad to hear you are developing an Apple version:)”

Some use both Android and Apple and ask to go on the email list for updates or testing Apple.

Some worry Flowx is going to ditch Android for Apple like DarkSky. I explain, I use Android so that would not be happening.

And a few are just damn negative and intolerant, and to be honest, this riles me. For example:

“so all you care about is apple and your going leave a ton of android users high and dry smart move help you do that I don’t think so”

This is projecting your dislike of Apple on to others. Let’s be honest, this has nothing to do with lawyers and trademark violations - you could not care less - this is disingenuous. Nor are you really warning me about getting into a tangle with Apple IP attorneys - you are just using fear to intimidate me - this I don’t like.

This is all about you.

Here is my perspective on the Apple opportunity. I can’t afford to take Flowx to Apple myself. We’ve been fortunate to get a grant to port to Apple. This is great because thousands of users have requested and registered for the Apple Flowx - they will be happy. When we release the Apple version of Flowx, revenue should increase substantially. This means Flowx will finally cover (it never has) and I’ll sleep easier and make better decisions for Flowx. It also means we can hire some help which means less bugs, more features, faster development and maybe, I can try out more cutting-edge ideas. Win-win for everyone.

So as you can see, this is not about you - this is about everyone. Flowx is a community. Please show a little tolerance and understanding. Really, it’s only a little icon in the top-right corner.

3 Likes

Also it’s not a “dogshit” way to do it. The idea was that if there was long-term Android user of Flowx that was keen to develop Apple, this would be an ideal person to port Flowx to Apple. I would consider this person even as part-time to a main Apple developer. This would be a great way to start. I thought the chances were low to find someone but it was worth a try.

I like to think outside the box and am willing to try things. This is exactly how WeatherBomb (Flowx) started and why it exists today.

2 Likes

This is what we all want!

Let’s hope that you will find a good programer soon!

2 Likes

I should give an update. We had a programmer for a week so far and we’re making good progress. There is no UI. We’re working on the backend at the moment. It’s forcing me to refactor my Android code - this should lead to less bugs and faster development. I know it’s overdue because so far, I’m removing or simplifying a lot of code.

We’re just working on the Basic UI element. Next, we’ll work on the data loading which will give us the basic numbers view you see under the graphs. After this, we can work on hi/lo values, graphs and the big one - the map.

4 Likes

Amazing!
This is great news!

2 Likes

Just plain rude!

1 Like

@Lexicalluthor which part?

1 Like

Sorry - I was referring to the guy who complained about the Apple symbol (advertising for an Apple developer) at the top of the screen. I thought that he could have expressed his point in a more tactful way. :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

2 Likes

@Lexicalluthor a tip, to avoid confusion, when commenting on some earlier post in a thread is to highlight that part and tap the “quote”-button that appears.

Btw I agree with you on your comment:

1 Like

@Lexicalluthor ah yes he could have :+1:

1 Like

Thank you - I understand about the quote button now! :+1:

1 Like