SigTor

Hello, Does any of the available overlays show significant tornado parameter, and if not, is there any plans of it being added? Thanks

2 Likes

Hello,

It isn’t in Flowx. I don’t know what “significant tornado parameter” is. Can you send more details and I can check whether the data is available or can be added to Flowx.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Hi, I believe it’s NOAA data. Significant Tornado Parameter (STP) Significant Tornado Parameter (STP) A multiple component index that is meant to highlight the co-existence of ingredients favoring right-moving supercells capable of producing F2-F5 tornadoes.

I often view it on WeatherBell, and Pivotal Weather. For HRRR and NAM

Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @Mackinac, I did a quick search. I couldn’t find a precomputed download of SigTor but did find a formula. I wonder if Pivotal or Weather Bell downloaded the data or computed it.

2 Likes

They may have computed it as it seems the models have a slight variation. I have attached a snippet of CODs render of the data with information that may be more of a clue. Thanks for looking into it.

weather.cod.edu

1 Like

Yeah, I keep finding the "Thompson, et. al. (2003) paper too. I just looked through my notes and found STP was one of the parameters I planned to add from this website: Suomen Sääkeskus - GrADS scripts

Might need to add more compute power though. We’ll see how we go.

3 Likes

Good news. Will be looking forward to whatever comes about.

1 Like