Snow depth forecast? Questions from an aspiring weather nerd

Hey there! I downloaded flowx a few weeks ago, and have to say, simply phenomenal. Then I came and read the bio about how it came to be, how @duane is living on an island, and why the subscription model is the future, and I’m hooked. Signed up for Gold, and I’m all in. This from a guy who usually downloads about 4 weather apps a month just to find a moderately accurate forecast. I’ve found my jam. THANK YOU!!

One question I’ve got, maybe a feature request - is there a way to have the snow depth forecasted like rain is? Or, better yet, instead of in/hr (or metric equivalent…) is 24hr accumulation possible? Living in NW Montana, USA, temperature and snow depth are the two most critical factors during the winter time.
Is this possible? I won’t even try to offer suggestions of what it should look like, you clearly have the design eye. I’m just trying to figure out how much snow will be coming my way in the near future.

Thanks all, thanks @duane!

3 Likes

@christiansenp Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

2 Likes

Thanks for the gold support and sorry for the late reply.

I’ve been rewriting the back-end code of Flowx to cope with future features. One of those features is accumulation. Instead of downloading accumulated precipitation/snow, it calculates it from the precipitation rate - this allows a lot of flexibility.

I’m hoping to get this code out soon since it’s been a long road.

Thanks again for the support.

Cheers, Duane.

4 Likes

No worries at all on the late reply, I think mines even later. Ha! Besides, given the choice between a fast reply to a random dude on a forum and working on the core product… Well I know the one I’d prioritize.

Either way, THANK YOU! That’s great news. I look forward to seeing it someday in a future release!

Have a great day!

1 Like

Hey, @duane, thanks for all you do! I wanted to know if snow depth (or rainfall accumulation, I imagine related?) has been implemented and perhaps I just missed it? As we head into winter, it’s a feature I’ll be sure looking for in the next months. Not meaning to pressure, just following up to see if I missed it.

Thanks!!!

2 Likes

Might Just be Me but sounds a bit difficult because it ranges so much location, topography, micro climate locations etc. that would be significant data that would have to be saved. but Just My Thoughts interested in seeing what input @duane has :beers:

1 Like

It’s unlikely to be in Android Flowx anytime soon.

The current Flowx on the Google Play is the old Java code. I’m not working on this code anymore because it’s a waste of time when it’ll be replaced with the new rewrite.

The new rewrite is written in Kotlin Multiplatform so I can share the code between Apple, Android, and in the future, Desktop/Web. This code include the facility to all accumulated data. But I cannot release this code to Android until it has feature parity otherwise Android will complain if features are missing.

I’m releasing to Apple on Thursday. Then I’m working on the roadmap toward feature parity:

When I get closer to feature parity I’ll release to the Google Play Alpha and Beta channels. Optimistic me is hoping to do this in the next 3 months. Reality me will probably take 6 months.

3 Likes