Snow Layer(Answered)

I also have a question regarding the snow layer. I’m using version 3.296 / NOAA GFS (FV3) 25km.

On the rain layer, I see the precipitation of blue and purple on the screen for my area, but when I switch to the snow layer, I see the exact same thing. Am I supposed to see something different for snow?

Thank You

4 Likes

Can you post some screenshots?

3 Likes

I guess since Im a new user, I can only send (1) image. I’ll try to reply 2 times

with 2 different screen shots
The attached shows precipitation

2 Likes

Here is the second which is the snow layer

2 Likes

That’s because the precipitation is all snow. If you zoom all the way out and flip between precipitation and snow, you’ll see the change.

3 Likes

@aptillie Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

3 Likes

At the bottom of your two graphs I can see that Precipitation and Snow have the same default color and range.
Long press on the range bar then change one of them.
Now you’ll see a difference between snow and rain.

3 Likes

you can see minor differences between the two but @Alex idea changing the color range is a good idea

4 Likes

Thank you. Flowx works very well for my photography needs.

3 Likes

I didn’t know you could change the color range. Did like you said and now with two different ranges, snow will appear as snow.

Thank you

3 Likes

No matter if I zoom in or out, they still look the same. Changing the color range as Alex mentioned did the trick.

3 Likes

Well it did work. I changed the color range when I was on the snow layer, but when I switch back to the Precip layer, the color range stayed the same, so now both Snow and Precip layer are the new colors, so both look the same again.
The color range does not change based on which layer you are on.

1 Like

Never mind. Here is what I just did. I left the new color range as is, then I went to the Precip layer and changed the color there. When I changed that color, the new Snow layer stayed in the new color, so now I have two different colors.

3 Likes

Glad that worked for you.

3 Likes

You are mixing up two things.

1. The color range changes the color of the data. It does not change the data.

2. When you change from precipitation to snow, Flowx does load the snow data. You don’t see any change and think it’s precipitation because they look exactly the same for where you live.

I didn’t say “zoom in and out” to fix it. I said:

What I mean is, zoom all the way out until you see the entire world, then flip between precipitation and snow, and you’ll see the data change.

I emphasize this because you are misunderstanding the data. You think the data is wrong but the data is correct.

If you want to change the color for precipitation and for snow, long-press on the scale, change the Scale id in the top drop-down box, and then change the color in second drop-down box. A scale can be used in multiple places, so when you change it, it will change everywhere it’s used. Precipitation and snow use the same Scale id, this is why when you changed the color for snow, it changed for precipitation.

4 Likes

The first screenshot clearly indicates rain, both on the map and graph.

So, if the data is correct, how have you concluded it’s “all snow”?

1 Like

No, the first screenshot shows (and labelled) precipitation, which could be rain or snow or hail or sleet.

People often mistake precipitation for rain - I used to. But rain is just one type of precipitation. Rain and snow are both precipitation. Precipitation is rain, snow, ice pellets and freezing rain.

If you zoom right out to see the entire world and flip from precipitation to snow, you’ll see the rain in the tropics disappear and the snow stay.

4 Likes

Thank you for the clarification on the terminology.

Interestingly, dual-polarization radar technology, used by the NWS, can help tell the difference between hail, ice pellets and rain, and even determine hail size.

2 Likes

as amazing and wonderful radar is it has its limitations any partical in the air has the potential of showing up, rain, snow, smoke, dust storm etc. and it can’t tell you how much will actually fall to the ground. just gives you a heads-up :100::100:

4 Likes