Tide Times implementation(Answered)

Hello,

Love the app, have been showing it to a number of my friends who also now use it as their sole weather app!

Would it be possible to add tide times (High/Low) at all please? I realise this may be less easy to implement than some other data sets. Though I imagine it in the graphs similar to the link below.

Regards,

Dave

3 Likes

@noisytwit Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like

Tides are difficult because there is no data for every place around the world, just stations where they measure tide. I was thinking of adding the relative tidal forces, i.e., the tide cycles with no heights, but I don’t know much about how to do this.

The other reason is that there are many apps that do tides very well.

3 Likes

Thank you both for the replies.

I didn’t think it would be a simple thing to implement, sadly. It’s literally the only thing I have to use an alternative app to view data.

Fingers crossed you can implement some form of data in the future

Thanks again both for your replies!

3 Likes

Do you mean the tidal currents ?

Or just time of High and Low water ?

2 Likes

Exactly, and tides are necessary to know for navigation works and trip planning. So its best to use with your chart plotter.
I use Navionics+ BoatingHD charts and tides planning is working great.

In my opinion it would be great to have a flowx-plugin for the chart plotter in order to get weather and wind maps on top of the sea charts which are the most important thing because of sea depth and navigational informations

1 Like

Keep posts positive please, just because one person doesn’t find something useful doesn’t mean others won’t find it helpful or interesting.
Thank You for changing your post :+1::+1:

2 Likes

I mean the forces exerted on the water by the moon and sun based on their positions. This force is cyclic causing the tide cycles. But it’s the shape of the seabed and coastline etc… that depicts the heights of the tides.

@tiwag, you reminded me of another reason I’m wary of tides - sailors use it to get boats to navigate shallow waters and getting it wrong can be costly. I don’t think I have the time to be careful enough.

Cheers, Duane.

3 Likes

In most cases of navigation in tidal areas the depth in shallow waters is not the greatest concern.
But it gets dangerous if tidal current stands against the wind, then the result is a “cooking water”, dangerous short waves which damage your boat or at least you cant sail your course in this area.
I’m with you, that belongs to serious navigation tools and not a weather app, even if it is the best weather app one can find.
Cheers tiwag

3 Likes