Time of last and next update in graphs

In graphs, and perhaps more in compare mode, it would be useful to, at a glance, be able to see something marking the
time of last and next expected update for the different available models.

Especially since sometimes a recently updated model might be more relevant than another that updated longer time ago, (and soon will be updated again).

1 Like

This will add 4, possibly 6, extra lines (or markers) to the graphs in a very narrow window of 3 to 6 hours. It’s not going to look good unless you have only 2 or 3 days showing. I already find the transition lines obscuring.

Also it’s not clear to me how much value this will bring since the relevance of a model depends more on the resolution. So, for example, if you’re looking at HRRR, this overrides any other model because it’s 3km resolution, 15min/1 hour time frames, and updates every hour. Don’t really need lines for this.

For GFS vs GDPS vs ICON, the difference between forecasts is not as much as the difference in Physics and numerical methods used in each model. Or the differences caused by errors in measurements or estimates of the state of the weather. Just look at the difference in hurricane tracks that are caused by perturbing the estimated starting state of the weather.

I guess what I’m saying is that the release time of a model is not as significant as other things. It’s not something I would want people don’t understand this to falsely think newer is better.

I’ve thought about this all morning and I’m really not convinced this is worth spending time on. The last thing I want to do is add something that provides none or little value. But if many people really want this, we can try something.

2 Likes

I completely agree with you when it comes to the areas and plans that have access to HRRR.

In my area I don’t have access to HRRR, but I do have access to many models with similar resolution and similar time between updates.

5 of 6 models have a resolution of 10 km ± 50%, and only one of them have 12 hourly updates, the rest of them have 6 hourly updates:

The synchronization of the updates between the different models are off by 1-2 hours:

This means that during a 6 hour cycle, there will be periods of hours at the time when some models are less than an hour old and others are up to 5 hours older. And it will vary which ones are the most recent ones.

So at least for me, there is a quite clear value to see this quickly, (without the need to read the latest version of the information in the two pictures above, and then to do some calculations in my head to figure out which model is most accurate for the hours to come.)

Yes, this should probably not be a, default, “one change fits all”-kind of thing.

I would suggest it as an option in the “Edit graph” setting.

2 Likes