Just to be clear, I’m not saying double-tap to step forward or back in time is not a good idea or the best idea.
But I take a long time to think about things. For example, I don’t think “double-tap steps back and forth in time”, I think " what is the problem we’re trying to solve and is there a better way". The problem is that sometimes, it’s not easy to step forward or back in time. There are many solutions:
- have a setting to change the up/down sensitivity
- if it’s for radar only, then the sensitivity might change for radar only.
- can we set sensitivity based on swipe speed.
- can we add a different area on the map that has a slower swipe
- can we swipe in a circle, like dial
- add a swipe at 45 degrees along with the vertical and horizontal.
- double tap in the sides.
- add back/forward buttons to the map - adds clutter
For me, double tap seems a wastes since it doesn’t actually gesture for something to happen to the place where you tap.
I usually choose something invisible first, like sensitivity based on speed. Then I something intuitive, like 4, 5, or 6, since we already swipe for time.
I also consider other aspects of replicating an existing feature. This carries other costs, like implementation cost, support and maintenance cost, it can cause confusion.
This is the obvious answer but maybe not the best. The settings page would have over a 100 settings if I just added a setting for everything. In fact, in the early days I did add everything and it was a mess! I rewrote Flowx without the settings. It’s empty and simple because I did my job
I also protect my gestures. We have:
- swipe to control time
- double-finger for zoom and panning
- single-tap - unused - selecting a place or object
- double-tap - unused
- long-press - unused - probably a pop-up menu showing more actions for a place or route node.
In the future, I plan things like showing all saved places on the map then tapping on them to change place, adding routes, adding airports and selecting them. And I’m sure other ideas would come along. I think we should cherish the rarity of gesture and double-tap.
If you look at it from that point of view. I agree with the 80/20 rule and the other point of view is that we’ve met 80% of the need with the current swipe action. Adding double-tap is trying to fill the remaining 20%
I guess in summary, I don’t just add an idea because it’s the first thing that comes along, I spend a long time thinking about it.
I hope that the list of ideas above is new to you and may lead you to think more broadly first instead of focusing on double-tap.
Personally, I like ideas 3, 5, and 6 but I’ll think more before trying one.