Widget disappears on restart (Android 12)

Hi,

The Flowx widget disappears whenever I restart my Samsung 21 FE phone. It uses Samsung’s OneUI 4.1 based on Android 12. The issue started about 4 months ago. I am on the very latest Flowx as well as the very latest Samsung updates.

To fix it, I have to create another Flowx widget on one of my home screens which shows both the newly created as well as the original widget. I then delete again the duplicate newly created one.

A fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Christian

1 Like

@40by25 Hello and Welcome to the Forum and Thank You for Using Flowx

1 Like

sounds like an issue with android 12 way of handling the widget @duane will have better information for sure

1 Like

Android has added 4 or 5 new ways to manage background services in the last 5 years in order to limit/optimize background services. They added another way and added more limitations in Android 12. By this stage my code looked like a Frankenstein from all these changes so I decided to rewrite the code from scratch. This is my next big job for Flowx.

Can you check the optimization settings (Android Settings > Apps > Flowx) for Flowx?

2 Likes

Hi Duane,

Thanks for your reply. The optimization setting had been ‘Optimized’. I set it to ‘Unrestricted’ now to see whether that will keep the widget visible on device restart.

The strange thing is, the widget only disappears after a reboot of my Samsung S21FE, never otherwise. Also, no other widget exposes the same behavior. And finally, the device somehow remembers the invisible widget and all of its settings. I can make it reappear simply by placing a new FlowX widget somewhere else on the screen. This will make both the newly created widget and the original widget visible. Until the next restart.

I will let you know whether the new optimization mode makes any difference.

Thanks
Christian

1 Like

Hi Duane,

Great news! That did the trick. The widget now survived the reboot. Thanks a lot for your help and for creating this awesome app.

Best regards
Christian

1 Like

Maybe I need to detect the “Optmized/Unrestricted” state and inform the user via a dialog.

But I do want to rewrite the code from scratch - it’s such a mess.

1 Like

The notification that you mentioned is a great idea and would have helped a lot. I had been wondering about this issue for maybe half a year before raising it here.

All the best.
Christian

1 Like