Widget icons missing

So I have selected to show icons for the graph (monkeys wedding) in the widget but no icons are showing in widget,they show in the graph in the app. I have cleared cache, even data and recreated the widget but still no icons (widget is formatted to have no background just in case that has an effect). And please add option to make top and lower bars transparent as well, Thanks

EDIT: I think it’s the place name (location) that’s blocking the icons, need to move the location name to left or centre of top graph of widget

1 Like

This is deliberate because of the name. I have kept the place name away from the left because that is where the weather of most interest is and I don’t want to obscure it in any way. The center might work, but long names can cause issue.

I have no issue having no icon legend on the rain graph because I think the colors are self explanatory and after a while you don’t refer to the icon legend anymore, i.e., it becomes clutter. Also the legend still exist within the app.

I don’t use the legend anymore and I usually turn them off. In fact, because I reinstall for development purposes I have given up turning them off each time and I’ve thought of making them turn off after a certain number of uses.

Flowx is designed to be as simple as possible so you can see the entire weeks’ weather at a glance, this is why I try to avoid clutter.

4 Likes

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense, now if you could just have the option for top and bottom bars to be transparent instead of white or black…

2 Likes

Really hope this can be done via I hate having three transparent widget but the to and bottom bars are not transparent, really spoils the look.

1 Like

Is there an update on this? A timeline? Really hate having the solid bars at to and bottom in the transparent widget.

1 Like

Just heard the top and bottom bars in the transparent widget will remain solid (no transparent option) for the foreseeable future unfortunately, “it’s not a priority” says the dev. which is fine, but I literally hate the look of the ‘transparent widget’ with ‘non transparent’ top and bottom bars, looks horrible as per my screen shot above. So I’ve had to uninstall the app for the foreseeable future and go for one with a fully transparent widget.

1 Like

You failed to read the room.

In 2016, you rated Flowx 3 star because of the widgets. You emailed me in 2016 about transparent graphs. I replied that there was a major release with this feature coming soon.

In 2024, you rated Flowx 2-star because of the lack of transparency in the widget graphs. We replied that transparent widgets have been available for 5+ years. So you bought a subscription to make the graphs transparent.

Then you wanted icons and transparent top/bottoms - fair enough, I heard you - you posted about this a dozen times in the last month or so. After incessant posts and reviews for this request, I gave up and ignored you. I have better things to do.

I have been busy porting Flowx to Apple and getting this new major rewrite to Android. What was a 2 year project is now 4 years. Many users have requested features - you aren’t the only one - and I’m over saying “in the next few months”.

It was my wife that replied the review. I don’t read or reply reviews anymore. I couldn’t handle people who would give 1-star for a very minor issue, especially after using the app for free for years. But I particularly hated it when people would use ratings to as a way me to force to do what they wanted. I used to put my best into helping people but after years of this, I got worn down and I gave up fighting for stars - it was emotionally draining. It sent me into dark places. The internet can be an intolerant and toxic place. As such, I have closed in my outward engagement and focused more on development. This is the reason I replied to this post.

Flowx is not for everyone and that’s fine. I’m not after downloads or other vanity metrics. I get my joy from developing Flowx. And, as a bonus, it makes me happy when people find value in Flowx.

Anyway, I have refunded your subscription.

3 Likes

Fully understand, and as you say it’s not about the stars, that’s just a means (sometimes) to whine (I know I can), once I’d found out about the transparent widget I rated the app 4 stars, not 5 as the fact that the widget was not fully transparent was an issue (for me).

You talk about my incessant posts, which is a bit of a stretch, as it is a forum for people to discuss the app (the good and the bad), and not once did you address the issue of the bars, hence my reposting about them, it’s because I never got an answer!

But that’s fine, there was no need to reimburse as I would have been checking the dev of the app and will definitely reinstall if/when the widget is fully transparent.

Wishing you and the team only the best!

1 Like

@Jostian I Totally Get Where @duane I also find it a little childish to delete an app simply because the widget isn’t completely transparent. the transparency has absolutely nothing to do with the information the app provides. I have several apps that have minor things I find annoying but I’d never delete them they still provide valuable information. no app will ever be 100% perfect for everyone.

2 Likes

Sure you may find it childish, for me it’s an aesthetic issue, which is as important to me, has always been, I find it childish that my request was never answered, never clarified. Why put so much effort into avoiding the request?

I have deleted many an app that hasn’t got a transparent widget, no matter how great the app is, and for the record (and as a meteorologist/Geographer) flowx is THE best one I’ve ever used, and I’ve used and tested hundreds of weather apps!

I asked about the transparency issue on the bars (incessantly apparently) and the reason for that was because no one ever answered, and or never addressed what I was asking about, it’s not like I can quickly pick up the phone or send a WhatsApp etc. So avenues to get an answer are limited.

So one terms to ask about them again and again hoping for a reply. But again, if ever the bars get a transparent option I’ll be reinstalling it ASAP.

1 Like

this is my last post on this subject, He is Just 1 Person so answers might be slow. I’ve been with the National Weather Service as a Volunteer Since 2006 They have an App I Use It, Rainviewer & Flowx I Even Helped Beta Test made requests etc. with the NWS App. they have things I’d like changed however there are 100’s of 1000’s of people who would like things added and changed but they still use the apps. in the end it’s your choice to delete an app for what ever reason.

2 Likes

Ok, my last post, am gonna get over myself a bit, I really love the app, and am going to use it. Maybe in time there’ll be a transparent bars option. And from my side apologies.

1 Like

Ok, while we’re at it. This is my last post - but not really.

What I’d like to say is that I don’t offer support. With tens of thousands of users a month, I simply cannot do it without development suffering and to be honest, I don’t want to be a support person. That would suck. This is why I have the help pages and created this forum. My hope is that the community will help each other through the forum. I’m sure the forum can get there. This is best done through respect, honest, patient and tolerance.

Of all the rules flung around, the one rule that has held strong is that I cannot satisfy everyone. Likewise, Flowx cannot be everything to everyone and we’ll be silly to try and make it be that.

As I said, my joy is in developing Flowx. I simply want to build.

4 Likes