Expedition Marine Cape Town missing

Expedition Marine Cape Town (LHS screenshot) is missing and replaced by NOAA GFS -25km (RHS screenshot). I thought that perhaps my Pro version had lapsed so I checked my version which did not go well. Note missing map tile at larger zoom. Using Map Style Stamen Terrain

Version check in portrait mode gives an OPPS! message with poorly formatted text to the left. In landscape mode the OPPS! message is readable. Do I have the Pro or some other version? Should OPPS be OOPS?

Pixel 3
Android 12
Flowx v3.357

1 Like

Hi @Ferdi.Brenton.on.Sea,

There are three bugs here:

1. if the fallback to GFS on first open. see: https://forum.flowx.io/t/pro-version-momentarily-reverts-back-to-free-at-app-startup. This should be fixed in version 3.368 which is 25% rolled out to everyone so far.
  2. Connecting to the Google Play store - can you check for the “opps” message once you’ve updated to v3.368?
  3. Expedition Marine isn’t solving at the moment. It’s been down for a day. I know NOAA did some work on their servers recently that can stop the flow of data required to start the Expedition Marine models - maybe this is the cause of the problem. We just have to wait for Expedition Marine on this one.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Many thanks Duane for the speedy reply. I am happy to await version 3.368 rollout as the app is still perfectly usable and remains my go-to weather app. The missing map tile occurs only with the Stamen Terrain map style and is an aesthetic issue only, being well northeast of my location, it does not detract from the forecast.

Cheers, Ferdi.

2 Likes

Oh, I forgot to mention the missing map tile bug.

If you click refresh twice, turn on “Include Maps”, and force a complete download it should fix this issue. Turn off all data on the map if you want it to be faster.

You could also change your map style in settings. I like the light map.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Thanks Duane. I like that Refresh double click shortcut - it worked immediately. As the town names are in such miniscule text on the maps, I use the 3D shaded topography of the Stamen Terrain map to know my way around. I love the Mapbox Dark but land areas are a tad too dark to be useful. Expedition Marine is still misbehaving but will no doubt return soon.

Cheers, Fredi.

2 Likes

I agree with names on the maps. One day I plan to bring the map names to the top but that’s quite a hard job.

My Exp. Marine is working now. Looks like Cape Town is updated too.

3 Likes

Hi Duane, Expedition Marine Cape Town has not displayed on my Flowx app for about a month now. Any suggestions how I can get it to display again?

2 Likes

Expedition Marine weather simulations depend on sailing/racing season so at certain times of the year, certain models will stop being solved. These models may come back in the future, it depends on the demand of Expedition Marine customers. I’m guessing it’s outside the racing season for Cape Town.

3 Likes

Hi Duane. I initially purchased the Pro Version to have access to the most detailed weather model (Expedition Marine Cape Town, ~9 km) for my area. Unfortunately, this model has not appeared on my phone app since about June 2022 and defaults to NOAA GFS ~25 km. Is there any plan to reinstate this or any other detailed model for the southern tip of Africa?

2 Likes

@Ferdi.Brenton.on.Sea Make Sure You are Using the Same Email Address that You Purchased Flowx, also you might have to clear App Cache Possible Clear App Data which deletes everything last case would be delete and reinstall the App. I just put Capetown in my app and “Expedition Marine Cape Town” is there. Also Make Sure You Have Debugging turned on in the app

1 Like

Hi BrianLY-38. My email address has not changed. I emptied the cache with no noticeable result. More drastic was clearing the app data which resulted in loosing all my settings and a new message appeared - see graphic.

The only thing left to do is uninstall Flowx, reboot the phone (Pixel 7a) and reinstall Flowx. After doing that, the graphic above still applies - no Expedition Marine. What am I doing wrong?

2 Likes

@Ferdi.Brenton.on.Sea Do You Have Debugging turned in the app if so you might send it @duane Would definitely have the answer definitely strange for sure am sorry I was not able to help

1 Like

Hi BrianLY-38. Yes, Debugging was turned on during the above process. Thanks for trying to help - you don’t win them all at the first attempt. Anyway, now I have a fresh install and get to play with settings long forgotten. Debug log sent.

1 Like

Hi @Ferdi.Brenton.on.Sea,

It seems Expedition Marine is not solving models in that region.

I had a quick look for other weather models around South Africa but could not find any.

I don’t have any say in what models are solved for Expedition Marine sorry. I’m happy to refund your subscriptions though.

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Hi Duane. Many thanks for the offer to refund but that is entirely unnecessary as I use Pro version models for other parts of the globe. It would be nice though if that ‘No valid forecast for EXPMARINE CAPE TOWN’ pop-up would disappear.

2 Likes

The “No valid forecast…” is in the old Android code that I don’t plan to venture into. It’s scary code. The new rewrite will have better management of pop-ups.

2 Likes

Looking forward to the Android code rewrite.

2 Likes