[Fixed] Wind indicator shows wrong wind direction using DWD

When using any DWD model the wind indicator shows the wrong direction, it shows the opposite direction as it should (180° error)

Its ok with Meteo France and GFS

3 Likes

@tiwag for me the direction slightly varies on each model some of the models do match I could be wrong but I just think it’s how the particular model reads the data that’s provided

1 Like

As i wrote, it seems to occur only when using DWD model

3 Likes

@tiwag. I couldn’t make the gif slower but gives you an idea even the mph and temp is different. I think it has to do with the km the info is being read

2 Likes

that’s why the weather forecasters always say temp, wind, Humidity etc is between “X and X” and don’t forget some models show from readings like E to W while others would read the same info as W to E the whole from to and to from

2 Likes

Differences in predictions of different models has nothing to do with this bug.

Check the wind streams in my screenshots.
Every model , also DWD, predicts NNE as it is typical for the Agean sea.
Only the wind indicator shows SSW when using DWD model. Typical 180° error of the flowx app.

3 Likes

@tiwag I did see that. some show for example N to S meaning the wind is blowing “To” the south where S to N means the wind is blowing “From” the North is the whole metrics vs standard all over again

2 Likes

found this kind helps what I’m trying to say “variety of instruments can be used to measure wind direction, such as the windsock and wind vane.[2] Both of these instruments work by moving to minimize air resistance. The way a weather vane is pointed by prevailing winds indicates the direction from which the wind is blowing.[3] The larger opening of a windsock faces the direction that the wind is blowing from; its tail, with the smaller opening, points in the same direction as the wind is blowing”

2 Likes

@tiwag by all means I’m not saying it’s not a bug I’m just saying what it might be showing like I mentioned above

@tiwag Smile Brother there is no fires no major storm just possible cockeyed :crazy_face: wind vane :wind_face:

3 Likes

Getting same bug.

3 Likes

got to looking at Twigs DWD Is correct it’s the others that show different yours is also correct Alex orange dots are the leading edge the white tails are the following edge

2 Likes

isn’t the meter dial icon thingy supposed to point the way the wind is blowing to? @duane will straighten use out :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

NO

Post must be at least 10 characters :rofl:

3 Likes

@tiwag figured it out turn your device upside down :exploding_head::exploding_head::joy::joy::joy: never mind it still the wrong way :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :nerd_face: :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Yes, if it is called a vector.
No, if it is called a barb.

Acording to what I found after some searching and reading:

"Remember that wind barbs point in the direction the wind is coming from.

Wind arrows (vectors) point in the direction the wind is blowing towards."
wind-uv-01

“Also remember that by convention, we speak of winds in terms of the direction they are coming from.”

“Unfortunately, once we start thinking of wind as a mathematical vector, we want to use the mathematical convention for the direction”

(Where wind to East, or from west has 0 degrees.)

"To convert from “meteorological direction” to “math direction”, use use this formula (in degrees):

md = 270 − wwd

where md is the “math” wind direction, and wwd is the “weather wind direction”. If the value is less than zero, just add 360. "

http://colaweb.gmu.edu/dev/clim301/lectures/wind/wind-uv

In Flowx the data is referred to as “Wind Vectors”.
Hence (at least according to the definition linked above):

• the “Wind vector”-“arrow” should point in the direction that the wind is blowing towards, or
  • if it is pointing in the direction that the wind is coming from, it should be called wind barbs.

So i see two problems:

1. the bug that @tiwag pointed out and @Alex confirmed, that the DWD model is acting different from the other models in Flowx.
  1. Flowx is not consistent with the definition of wind vectors. Flowx point like a barb, but call it a vector.

(Update: I was wrong in 2.)

2 Likes

The animated wind particles correctly show wind direction and agree with the wind direction vector icon except when using the model DWD ICON.
The vector icon shows wind direction as an arrow.

Screenshot_20201220-091455_Flowx-01

3 Likes

@Alex Exactly :ok_hand:

This is the definition how wind direction is given since centuries and proofed useful, not only but particularly for sailors. We’re always in need to know from where wind is coming :sunglasses:
Dixi, tiwag

3 Likes

to be honest I never knew the icom looked like that :joy: just thought it was the symbol they use for power :joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Me neither!

Aperently I was wrong about:

The Flowx arrow is pointing like a vector!

The icon is just so small on my screen that I can’t see that it is an arrow fointing at the center of the cirkle. It looks more like an arm on a clock, pointing out from the center.

2 Likes