The wind vector icon

Perhaps the wind vector icon was designed for phones with lower screen resolution?

Modern phones has so high resolution that the icon becomes verry small, and it is hard to detect the direction of the tiny arrow, or even that is actually is an arrow.

I suggest an update of the icon to a more simple design, so that the direktion of the arrow is more clear, eaven when it is presented by the tiny pixels on a hi-resolution phone screen.

Continuing the discussion from Wind indicator shows wrong wind direction using DWD:

Screenshot_20201220-091455_Flowx-01

1 Like

If anyone has a design, just send it through. We can trial it in the app.

2 Likes

Tada

Screenshot_20201220-091455_Flowx-01

:joy::joy::joy: Yall are Welcome :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Couldn’t have done better myself.

2 Likes

@duane :joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

Tell you what makes a huge difference on a 10in tablet :open_mouth: running Android 10 finally catching up :rofl::joy::rofl::grin:

2 Likes

Loved Flowx Already But Wow loving it on my tablet :100::100::100::100:

3 Likes

Call me crazy, but could you use literally just the arrow, but full size? So the arrow would rotate about the bottom of its head?

2 Likes

It’s not clear to me that this icon is a prevalent problem among all users so I don’t really want to spend half a day designing a new icon, adding it to the app, releasing it and getting a backlash for the change.

I hope you understand my position. It’s not that I don’t want to change it for something better. It’s just not clear a new design is better and it’s not clear this is a good use of my limited time.

For example, I’m currently working fixing the broken RTOFS which is not showing up in the right position on the map. Should I be working on this new icon or fixing RTOFS or other things like adding other data like UV to the graphs, or an editor to choose what the fallback data sources should be.

It’s just hard to justify working on this.

My suggestion is that you design an icon, post it here and see if you can get enough support to test it out. If you get enough support and it makes sense, I’m happy to release it in beta and ask for feedback.

3 Likes

BTW, the original design some 7+ years ago was just an arrow.

The problem with an arrow is whether the arrow is indicating the direction the wind is coming from or the direction the winds is going?

The current design is to capture this dual concept of the direction the wind is coming from (position in the circle) and the direction the wind is going (the direction of the arrow). And the dot in the middle is you.

3 Likes

Solid reasoning and I totally agree with fixing broken things over making minor icon changes.

What format (and resolution if not vector) would you need if I wanted to try making an icon?

2 Likes

I usually make my icons in Inkscape and output them to SVG. Android Studio can easily import these.

2 Likes

In my opinion the actual icon is practical to indicate from where the wind comes, which is the only system i know and have ever seen to indicate wind directions, and it is nice and pretty.

Dont see any reason to change that.
More important , i think, is to solve the 180° bug with DWD data source

3 Likes