Port to Apple - updates

An update on Android. I have the beginnings of data on the map. Just got to fill it out and add scales, then the Android app is usable for testing and fixing crashes. While I’m testing I’ll start working on the map for Apple - this is the last major iOS-specific component for Apple. If this work, it should be all downhill from here.

6 Likes

Awesome Job Brother :ok_hand::ok_hand:

3 Likes

Hi all,

The port to Apple is progressing well. I’ve just got map going on the Android version and tomorrow, I start on the final major development stage for Apple - the map on iOS. This is new and unknown to me. I have to learn iOS Metal. I’m hopeful and optimistic we might have the iOS map going in the next few weeks. This will mean it should be all downhill from there and we should have an alpha version ready for testing.

Cheers, Duane.

5 Likes

Exciting! Good job!

2 Likes

Today we made a huge milestone - we have the basics of the weather map going in Apple. I’m expecting and hoping it’ll be mostly downhill from here.

Next:

• get dots drawing for places on the map.
  • get land map tiles drawing.
  • get color fields drawing for data, e.g., precipitation, temperature, wind, etc…
  • then complete the basic UI.

4 Likes

Great job!
Congratulations!

1 Like

Great News everyone!! We have the map going for basic data. I don’t see many risks left in porting to Apple. I’m optimistic it’ll be home sailing from here.

Next up:

• controls
  • scale bar
  • “Add Place” feature
  • swipe control gesture
  • zoom gesture
  • fix gauges view

Then we should be ready for some alpha testing with GFS, basic data (precipitation, temperature, pressure, wind, etc…) and metric units.

After this alpha release we will start filling in the gaps.

Exciting times ahead.

8 Likes

Congratulations. Light at the end of the tunnel.:+1:

2 Likes

Thanks as always for the update, looking good.
I’m probably not the only one checking for updates to this thread on a daily basis!
Note to self to get a life :smile:

4 Likes

I’m in!

Indeed!

Cheers!

2 Likes

:grin: :+1:sounds wonderful

2 Likes

Oh, can we sign up for testing?

2 Likes

I will participate in Apple alpha testing.
Please

2 Likes

I can’t add people to testing yet since I’m still trying to setup an Apple developers account. I ran into some issue setting up the account.

I plan to do the testing in two phases: 1. alpha testing and then 2. beta testing.

For alpha testing the app will be very basic and incomplete. I’m aiming for a small group of testers (10-20). This group is to catch crashes and bugs. The testers will have to be both Apple and Android, and a long term daily user of Flowx.

Once we’ve gone through the alpha testing, i.e., fixed bugs, crashes, improved performances and added a majority of the features, then we’ll move on to beta with more users (100’s). The testers here can be Apple only users. This is where we find the outlier bugs and crashes, and add more polish to the app.

3 Likes

Another update. The main UI is all finished (with bugs).

ToDo:

• fix some performance issues
  • fix the many bugs
  • “Add Place” feature
  • improve the UX
  • fix more bugs

4 Likes

Looking Awesome @duane :raised_hands::beers:

2 Likes

I can volunteer for testing both. I had to switch to iphone back in November and I have kept around an old LG L322DL burner android phone just to use flowx daily . I have been a gold subscriber since 2018.

2 Likes

I’m not sure when or how I’ll do the testing for a few reasons:

• Timing is quite important because if I release too early I’ll be fighting bugs and developing less.
  • there are a lot of features that are missing and may cause frustration.
  • I will be making breaking changes, i.e., you can loose all your settings. Managing settings migrations will slow me down.
  • it seems I’ll have to get Apple to approve the app become I can send out beta testing link.

I think what I’ll do is throw up a post closer to when I’m ready for testers so keep an eye out. I’m hoping/optimistic it’ll be within the next quarter (3 months).

Cheers, Duane.

2 Likes

Duane

I totally understand! I was a software dev in my previous career and know how frustrating that can be. thanks for the reply!

2 Likes

If you’re not familiar with ios - you can place an app in the store and release only to testers (test flight) and it’s a great tool for gated testing. You can even have separate cohorts with different test versions. Source: pm for an ios app.

You can get yourself up to speed with the release process without releasing to the public.

3 Likes